My first reef tank, 110 Gallons!

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know how much to add to get to 2 ppm?
Day 10 now you should have nitrates. I’m not sure why you didn’t have them day 8 tbh.

Did you use bottled bacteria or wet live rock?

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know how much to add to get to 2 ppm?
Day 10 now you should have nitrates. I’m not sure why you didn’t have them day 8 tbh.

Did you use bottled bacteria or wet live rock?
frit zyme 9 and dried up rock that previous was in a tank and yeah lfs lady said 110 drops for 2ppm and i hit 2ppm

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero ammonia and big nitrate usually signals cycled. I dosed mine again to 2 ppm just to be sure it would clear fast because it made me feel better.

Then I had surgery so the tank had to cook empty because my right arm was immobilized for 6 weeks. Lol. So I had a well cycled tank. Lol

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero ammonia and big nitrate usually signals cycled. I dosed mine again to 2 ppm just to be sure it would clear fast because it made me feel better.

Then I had surgery so the tank had to cook empty because my right arm was immobilized for 6 weeks. Lol. So I had a well cycled tank. Lol
I dont think i have nitrate

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you got a bad batch of Fritz turbo, you have to have nitrates. Yes, nitrites can make them look artificially off the chain but nitrates have to be present for the ammonia to clear.
You’re showing zero ammonia. Add 2 ppm and check ammonia again in 12 hours. If it’s dropping quickly or gone, you have nitrifying bacteria established.

If you really have zero nitrates, your bacteria was bad and you’ll have to add more.

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you got a bad batch of Fritz turbo, you have to have nitrates. Yes, nitrites can make them look artificially off the chain but nitrates have to be present for the ammonia to clear.
You’re showing zero ammonia. Add 2 ppm and check ammonia again in 12 hours. If it’s dropping quickly or gone, you have nitrifying bacteria established.

If you really have zero nitrates, your bacteria was bad and you’ll have to add more.
When I get home i think ill add ammonia and check in the morning, if its bad results you say i need another bottle?

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re over ten days right? If ammonia clears in 24 you’re good. If it doesn’t or drops only slightly, then I'd have LFS test nitrates. If zero nitrates it’s likely a bad bottle of bacteria.

Cycle time with bottled bacteria can take over two weeks to cycle but you should have nitrate activity by now. If your LFS confirms the presence of nitrate, even if you don’t clear the ammonia, don’t add more bacteria, just watch ammonia and wait for the cycle to finish.
I suspect you’re cycled tho.

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re over ten days right? If ammonia clears in 24 you’re good. If it doesn’t or drops only slightly, then I'd have LFS test nitrates. If zero nitrates it’s likely a bad bottle of bacteria.

Cycle time with bottled bacteria can take over two weeks to cycle but you should have nitrate activity by now. If your LFS confirms the presence of nitrate, even if you don’t clear the ammonia, don’t add more bacteria, just watch ammonia and wait for the cycle to finish.
I suspect you’re cycled tho.
I just added about ammonia probably brining it to around 2 ppm

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS showing no nitrates is odd. Like I said, I think you’re cycled but it would stink to find out you’re not by coming home to a floating fish.
Fingers crossed you wake up to zero ammonia!

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news! Its hitting the .25/0
YES! I would trust that you have nitrates. Nitrites are going to vanish and stop affecting your at home test. Most ppl do about a 20% water change (some do 10, some do 50 depending on how high the nitrates are) and start adding livestock.
I added a gorgonian before I added fish cuz I had the surgery thing going on and knew the gorgonian could stand waiting for water changes.

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES! I would trust that you have nitrates. Nitrites are going to vanish and stop affecting your at home test. Most ppl do about a 20% water change (some do 10, some do 50 depending on how high the nitrates are) and start adding livestock.
I added a gorgonian before I added fish cuz I had the surgery thing going on and knew the gorgonian could stand waiting for water changes.
im about to do a nitrite nitrate test, maybe ill get another lfs test

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added two clowns
image.jpg
image.jpg

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back