My first reef tank, 110 Gallons!

Abyzter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I just got my first (saltwater) tank yesterday, I picked it up from someone who is leaving the hobby and they gave me all of their stuff, it is a lot. If someone wants the full list I could give it. If you have any tips/tricks I should know please feel free to leave them down below. My hopes are for a mixed reef in the future, my first coral i will probably get some zoas as they are my favorite
I'm excited to see how your tank turns out!

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BRS also has a video on a simple quarantine protocol for fish. If you are getting any tangs (Or any fish of greater size) I would get a 40 gallon QT tank unless you are getting smaller ones.
Don't get a 40g qt tank and don't do the BRS QT protocol. 10gal tanks are 10$. There's nothing wrong with the TTM method however there is a problem with putting your fish in a tiny bucket while you sterilize your one 10gal tank. The tank needs to dry for 24 hours as well. You also need to address potential flukes and they don't make it clear in that one video.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
if my lfs has quarantine protocols will I still need to qt?
LFS use a little bit of copper to keep the fish alive. They lie to you and tell you it's quarantined knowing dang well that they aren't. They want you to take that fish home and release velvet into your tank killing your 20 fish so that they can sell you 20 more. When you complain they tell you it's your water quality and tell you that you need a bigger skimmer. 95% of LFS are dishonest.

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get a 40g qt tank and don't do the BRS QT protocol. 10gal tanks are 10$. There's nothing wrong with the TTM method however there is a problem with putting your fish in a tiny bucket while you sterilize your one 10gal tank. The tank needs to dry for 24 hours as well. You also need to address potential flukes and they don't make it clear in that one video.
I’m sorry I was under the assumption a 6” tang or any other large fish couldn’t stay in a 10 gallon tank for a couple weeks. Your right.

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have a 10g but my turtle in it right now , but ill probably neec to upgrade him soon so ill have a 10 open and a 20 long

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I already have a 10g but my turtle in it right now , but ill probably neec to upgrade him soon so ill have a 10 open and a 20 long
I have two 20s and two 10s. Bigger fish go in the 20 but I only have 2 bigger fish (Foxface and white tail tang) in my 130gal so they probably won't be touched for a long time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back