Check valve.. to use or not to use

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am running an over-the-back return with to 90s would I need a check valve? I'm just guessing but the loc-line would probably be about 2-4inches deep under waterline

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am running an over-the-back return with to 90s would I need a check valve? I'm just guessing but the loc-line would probably be about 2-4inches deep under waterline
Check valves WILL fail.
Add a siphon break in the loc line, and test to make sure your sump can handle the amount of water that is siphoned before the break stops it.

Sirlagzalott

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Check valves WILL fail.
Add a siphon break in the loc line, and test to make sure your sump can handle the amount of water that is siphoned before the break stops it.
Definable a potential point of failure. Agree that a siphon break is the only true way to be sure. Also ideally make sure your sump can handle the extra water if your return shuts off.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because no one else did, here is WHY they fail:

Reef tanks entail growing more than just the fish and corals we introduce. They are a small biosphere. As such, we tend to have sponges, feather dusters, and other fauna appear without our input. Should a sponge or feather duster grow on the valve, it will prevent it from sealing. No amount of maintenance is likely to prevent this from happening. It’s therefore best to avoid using check valves and instead rely on other methods of avoiding water overflowing.

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because no one else did, here is WHY they fail:

Reef tanks entail growing more than just the fish and corals we introduce. They are a small biosphere. As such, we tend to have sponges, feather dusters, and other fauna appear without our input. Should a sponge or feather duster grow on the valve, it will prevent it from sealing. No amount of maintenance is likely to prevent this from happening. It’s therefore best to avoid using check valves and instead rely on other methods of avoiding water overflowing.
Which could also happen using a siphon break, if not maintained.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back