Fuzzy White “Mold” Growing on Coral

cabaube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I have an issue that has been developing over the last couple of weeks. I have attached photos below, but it looks like a fuzzy white mold that has opted to grow on some of my corals. I have hammers that have been affected, a torch, and now a Zoa. I thought initially it was bacterial, so I did a Chemiclean treatment a couple days ago but it is still present. Currently, my nitrates are a bit high (I’m figuring out the source) but this growth has developed before this spike. Does anyone have any ideas or similar experience? It seems to be killing my corals :(

IMG_0698.jpeg IMG_0699.jpeg IMG_0700.jpeg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
sponge. good filter feeder. sometimes they do overgrow over coral and smother them. keep an eye to avoid it smothering your coral, otherwise you have nothing to really worry about! :)

OP
OP
C

cabaube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sponge. good filter feeder. sometimes they do overgrow over coral and smother them. keep an eye to avoid it smothering your coral, otherwise you have nothing to really worry about! :)
If I theoretically wanted to get rid of it how would I go about that It really seems to be taking off and I’m worried that I won’t be able to manage it over time.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
you can scrape off. they are relatively easy to remove. ideally outside the water so the spores don't stay/spread, but they'll likely come back anyway as they are a normal part of a reef.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back