G5 Blue or Pro with T5

fishnugget1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any recommendations?
I have a hybrid fixture. Will the Blue be too blue with T5? If so what bulbs would you use to counter that?
Is the Pro the way to go and just add Bluer T5? I know Blues are set it and forget it, but my corals are now use to Coral + And Blue + T5's. This is so confusing.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue is if you plan on running the AB+ setting. I currently run the AB+ setting on my hybrid with 2 G4 pros and to me it isn't that blue. I will more than likely go with 4 XR15 G5 Blues or 3 XR30 G5 blues with a hybrid set up. You can also change the bulbs on the T5's to help. You could add a actinic.

Last edited:

paal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personal preference.

I feel blue LEDs make corals pop more than blue T5s, and the various red/green "white" leds often creates a nasty disco effect.
So... when mixing LED+T5 I have always preferred to keep the LEDs more on the blue side and T5 more white.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Blues are way to blue IMO and they did change the spectrum of ab+ on the g5. I am very happy I went with the G5pros coming from my g4pros tuning ab+ to phix14

Last edited:

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blues are way to blue and they did change the spectrum of ab+ on the g5. I am very happy I went with the G5pros coming from my g4pros tuning ab+ to phix14
Sorry, I always ran AB+ on my G4's, what is phix14?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its the Radions metal halide spectrum, just like how the AB+ is after blue plus bulbs. its not too white and just enough blue. Growth has been amazing on it.
Do people use both these settings ab and phix for mainly sps or is it good for lps and softies aswell?

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do people use both these settings ab and phix for mainly sps or is it good for lps and softies aswell?
I grow mostly high end sps and high end zoas and shrooms and torches and gonis with a few chalices. Everything does really good under it even my OG Pink Panther and OG Purple Monster.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mainly have high end chalices I have been using the lps Setting since got the new g5s But not sure I’m happy with the growth. Thanks for the response I think I will try phix

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my eyes, the G5 blue is whiter than the G4 AB+. I have no issues with the color at full intensity.
But the colors during ramp down are ugly; nothing like the G4 AB+ during ramp down.

PSU4ME

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The G5 blue isn’t as blue as one might think. I mounted mine in the aquatic life fixture and as mentioned above you can swap out the t5 bulbs to get different colors but I like to run the G5’s on the AB+ program

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my eyes, the G5 blue is whiter than the G4 AB+. I have no issues with the color at full intensity.
But the colors during ramp down are ugly; nothing like the G4 AB+ during ramp down.
Let me point out I have 2 g5 pro over a tank and 2 g5 blue over a second tank and I can’t tell the difference between them when both on the lps setting g

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if I had to say more I’d say the g5 blue looks whiter then g5 pro by just a hair

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truthfully the benefit of the blues is increased cyan, but if using blue+ t5 bulbs it’s not necessary. Go with the pros

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back