OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got a quick Instagram reel up...

I still haven't wired the limit switches. The stepper motor seems to be missing steps, so I can't really leave it alone running. I need to figure out an Arduino shield option and then I can configure all that.

The plants are really interesting. Salinity is at 15ppt and I will probably keep it right around there. Ruppia maritima and Potamogeton perfoliatus continue steady growth. The Halodule wrightii is also growing with new green foliage, although it has only approximately replaced the foliage it came with. So I'm not sure yet how well it is establishing. Eleocharis parvula has slowly declined and I don't expect it to adapt.

Last edited:

Lingwendil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What strength salinity are you running? I'm assuming something intermediate or brackish for now by your plant selection.

A really cool fish for this would be some Rainwater Killifish- might even get some spawning behavior.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is nice device! I would love to have anti-ripple generator though: for those suffering with low PH and elevated CO2 levels and perhaps using CO2 scrubber or dosing sodium hydroxide, the amount of surface ripples increases the quanity of CO2 that's re-dissolved. Therefore I look forward to anti-ripple-generator device idea!

Cheers,

Borat.

OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering stocking the tank with a variety of freshwater fish species, such as neon tetras, guppies, and mollies, along with some live aquarium plants to create a vibrant and natural underwater environment.

Please note this account is not me. It's new and it sounds like an AI, in fact.

OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What strength salinity are you running? I'm assuming something intermediate or brackish for now by your plant selection.

A really cool fish for this would be some Rainwater Killifish- might even get some spawning behavior.

I saw that and thought it was just some new user saying what they would do.

My question/comment to you still stands though! Really interesting setup so far.

Busy community sites like this one will be overwhelmed by AIs if they don't stay ahead of it. Thanks to admins for removing that.

I have not kept them before, but yes I was looking into Lucania parva and they were just about my favorite fish idea. Do you know of any sources? Five or ten years ago there were sellers on AquaBid with interesting US native fishes including various estuary killifish. But pickings are slim these days. Maybe there will be more such listings later this spring.

Not US native, but here's another idea and these are around in the trade:

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/oryzias-dancena/

Lingwendil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jonah's aquarium used to carry them regularly, and can allegedly special order them-
http://www.jonahsaquarium.com/jonahsite/fishlistoccasional.htm

Oddly enough they are a local invasive around here, I've considered trying to collect them but due to California laws there's legal stuff to address there. However, they've turned up at bait shops in the past alongside minnows and invasive gobies as bycatch, so this summer I may try to hunt some down for some potential outdoor livestock tub projects.

OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jonah's aquarium used to carry them regularly, and can allegedly special order them-
http://www.jonahsaquarium.com/jonahsite/fishlistoccasional.htm

Oddly enough they are a local invasive around here, I've considered trying to collect them but due to California laws there's legal stuff to address there. However, they've turned up at bait shops in the past alongside minnows and invasive gobies as bycatch, so this summer I may try to hunt some down for some potential outdoor livestock tub projects.

I'd ask if you might like to do a trade for some wild-caught fish, but I can imagine that would be unlawful. I'll look around some more though.

The Palaemon shrimp are doing more or less OK, although I have seen some attrition with a few dead ones.

Oh and salinity is currently at 15ppt.

Interestingly a single Corixidae water boatman rode in as a hitchhiker with the plants. The first time I saw it it was tiny and I imagined it was a larval crab, but after getting through a couple more instars it was more obvious. It's still zooming around. Apparently some Trichocorixa are among few aquatic insects with a preference for saltwater and may even occur in hypersaline conditions:

https://bugguide.net/node/view/250188

Last edited:
OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick Instagram video for this other related water kinetic motion project. This one throws really cool water caustics up on the ceiling.

7CC90F4F-3193-4C8C-AF33-D7FE8B3D8D61.JPG

OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had an aquarium post go viral in a long time. Would be cool to get a thousand likes for it...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back