Garden Eels

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cammy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Cammy

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 26, 2023
Messages
38
Reaction score
23
Location
Edinburgh, Scotland
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I've read as much as I can so far, but looking for as much information from anyone who has kept them successfully. I work in an LFS, and 1 Heteroconger hassi was included in an import shipment (we were meant to be receiving pipefish).

Currently the lil guy/gal is a measly 4-5" long and about as thick as a shoe lace. I've bought him for now and put him in my soft coral frag tank, changing the sandbed to 4-5" so it at least matches its current length. He's survived a full quarantine and went from eating live pods/baby brine to frozen copepods, red plankton, etc.

Never thought I'd be purchasing one, nor did I think I'd be planning a setup solely around a single fish, but here we are. He couldn't stay in the store as we run 1" sandbeds or bare bottom in all the store tanks.

So would love to talk to anyone who has successfully kept them long term!
 
The short and sweet version is initially healthy specimens. Try to watch them eat before bringing them home. Keep them in groups with very peaceful tankmates, a sand bed at least 6 inches deep of finer grade sand, and lots of open sand areas with minimal rock. Feed a variety of small meaty foods frequently

Here are my 2 survivors after a 4 day power outage killed the other 2...

20250406_232729.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new