Garden eels!!!

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I just got 2 spotted garden eels from liveaquaria. I currently have both of them in a little 20 high qt tank with about 7 inches of sand. Any advice on keeping them? They will eventually be going into a 75 gallon once they are out of qt. My understanding is they are pretty simple to keep as long as they have enough sand to be happy? As well as pretty much no tank mates to scare them? What do they like to eat most? I just put some adult live brine shrimp in the tank for them to hunt. I would love it if they ate mysis eventually. I currently have 2 white ghost ribbon eels and 1 black ribbon eel in a separate tank, they are doing well.

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 109
  • DFBD0FA3-725F-436F-BA97-B31BA6AAEC85.jpeg
    DFBD0FA3-725F-436F-BA97-B31BA6AAEC85.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 116
  • 94B57B7F-4811-4EE8-9705-CBE81ABB42F5.jpeg
    94B57B7F-4811-4EE8-9705-CBE81ABB42F5.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 107
OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking for one!! Where did you get them?!
I got my 3 from liveaquaria divers den. Ide been looking for them for a bit, they were all a pain to be honest. I thought 2 out of the 3 would die for a while, they are hard to get to eat, like crazy hard.

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my 3 from liveaquaria divers den. Ide been looking for them for a bit, they were all a pain to be honest. I thought 2 out of the 3 would die for a while, they are hard to get to eat, like crazy hard.
I know, I’m on the fence about them to be totally honest. As much as I love them, I’m worried they’ll just die in my tank. Also, I notice whenever I buy livestock from Live Aquaria, they die within a month. Maybe it’s just a coincidence but it’s suspicious to me. I think I’ve only had 1 maybe two things from there survive long term.

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, I’m on the fence about them to be totally honest. As much as I love them, I’m worried they’ll just die in my tank. Also, I notice whenever I buy livestock from Live Aquaria, they die within a month. Maybe it’s just a coincidence but it’s suspicious to me. I think I’ve only had 1 maybe two things from there survive long term.
I generally have good luck with live aquaria. Divers den especially, because the animals are semi quarantined. Mine have been with me for about 2 months, they are all eating great now, but it took 2 months for the black one to accept food from tongs. I might have rolled the dice and got lucky. I just have them in a 30 gallon qt tank with some pvc, some sponge filters, and some marine pure.

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally have good luck with live aquaria. Divers den especially, because the animals are semi quarantined. Mine have been with me for about 2 months, they are all eating great now, but it took 2 months for the black one to accept food from tongs. I might have rolled the dice and got lucky. I just have them in a 30 gallon qt tank with some pvc, some sponge filters, and some marine pure.
Well I’m jealous of you lol

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I just got lucky? They were very helpful in telling me what the eels were eating before they got to me, which was awesome.
Their customer service is great; I’ll give them that. I bought 3 pairs of clownfish from divers den (photons) and they all died. I was totally heart broken.

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their customer service is great; I’ll give them that. I bought 3 pairs of clownfish from divers den (photons) and they all died. I was totally heart broken.
That is absolutely terrible, they aren’t cheap either. So far I’ve ordered: a watanabei angelfish, a big Picasso, a pair of black storms, a fairy wrasse, 3 chalk bass, a pink bar goby pair, a pair of bengai cardinals, a melanurus wrasse, a fuzzy dwarf lion, the eels and a wartskin angler. One of the black storms, one of the pink bar gobies and the lionfish died, but everyone else is doing great. Only the lionfish died after the stay alive guarantee had expired.

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, if the eels had died I would never have ordered from them again, but the eels are so dang cool, and they aren’t even in my reef yet.

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, if the eels had died I would never have ordered from them again, but the eels are so dang cool, and they aren’t even in my reef yet.
Oh trust and believe I get the feeling all too well lol I also ordered a stag horn hermit crab and just like the clowns, it died after a month. But, the coral is still alive so that’s something I guess lol I’m glad your fish are living for you. Yeah, they cost me about $300 so my wallet hurt but I got attached to them which made it suck more lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.6%
Back