Ge iron grip for reseal

Brett newell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening all,

I am in the process of putting new silicone in a 125 gallon that will be a sump for my new 210. The 125 has been running the 3 years I've had it with no leaks, but after emptying and letting it dry I noticed how bad the silicone looks. I think a previous owner resealed it at one point. Anyway, I have all the old stripped off and the glass is nice and clean. So my question is, should I use ge silicone 1 that I have lots of to use for baffles or should I use the ge iron grip for the reseal?

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone one. The seal holds little to no structural integrity and silicone one is known to be reef safe. Even if it was sturctualral I wouldn’t trust iron grip in a reef setting.

OP
OP
Brett newell

Brett newell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. My gut was saying go with the tried and true product. I'm letting it dry out over night, I'll silicone it after work. Should be good to hold water by saturday right?

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. My gut was saying go with the tried and true product. I'm letting it dry out over night, I'll silicone it after work. Should be good to hold water by saturday right?
It “should” be good on Saturday. But I let it cure as long as possible. If you have a week to just let it sit that would be preferable

OP
OP
Brett newell

Brett newell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think it would help to have a small fan in it circulating air?

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little late to the party but wasn't on here yesterday. FWIW - ASI is the best aquarium silicone you can get. If you take a few minutes to research it, you'll quickly see what I am talking about.

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd let it go for at least a week. The silicone I is an acetoxy cure silicone (releases acetic acid during cure) and requires some moisture to cure. With the drier winter air, it will take longer to cure. It isn't a structural bond, so filling before it is fully cured wouldn't be the worst thing to do. As long as the vinegar smell is gone, you should be good to go.

OP
OP
Brett newell

Brett newell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really in a rush. I'll let it cure for a while. Rtv 108 will be here tomorrow so I'll seal it tomorrow add baffles Wednesday and let it cure until next weekend. I'll get it in place this weekend and get it plumbed up then wait another week.
All the fish are in another 125 I have so they are fine there

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a fan of the Momentive 100 series. One of the highest shear, tinsile, and bond strengths of commercially available silicone. There are a few that are higher, but not by much and they aren’t as readily available. It is also actually an adhesive as opposed to the GE I, which is a caulk.

[EDIT] Momentive 100 series is acetoxy cure as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brett newell

Brett newell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Momentive rtv 108 is what I over nighted. Will be here today. I'll seal it tonight then water test it next weekend.

OP
OP
Brett newell

Brett newell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update. I finished cleaning and scraping tonight with razors and acetone. I applied the rtv 108 and ran my finger down all the seems. It's not pretty but it looks like a good seal all around. Water test in 10 days.

OP
OP
Brett newell

Brett newell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I inspected my seals this morning after it has started to dry. I noticed some areas are sealed but slightly thinner than other areas, can I add a little silicone to the top of the silicone I just put down ?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back