Messed up redea reefer 250

mathew.jarvis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I bought a used redsea reefer 250 with damaged interior seams. I the price was cheap for the tank so I bought it and decided to remove and replace the interior seams, but I noticed I have cut into the main seam along the bottom too.

I made sure to scrape off any residue silicone and I also used acetone to clean the parts I will be resealing. My questions are: Should I take the whole tank apart and redo everything or should I test if it leaks. Im worried that if it doesnt leak; it may explode on me in the near future. Is the tank small enough to not warrant any worry? Any advice?

The bubble goes to about halfway of the main seam. The bubble below it is just a reflection and not an actual bubble. There is also some trapped dirt that I wasnt able to clean out. This is my first resealing job.
20231217_201213.jpg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the seams are already damaged, you need to scape and re-silicone. Any other course of action is asking for future problems. You could try contacting Red Sea as well if the tank is still under warranty, they’ll generally replace it but you may have to cover shipping.

OP
OP
mathew.jarvis

mathew.jarvis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the seams are already damaged, you need to scape and re-silicone. Any other course of action is asking for future problems. You could try contacting Red Sea as well if the tank is still under warranty, they’ll generally replace it but you may have to cover shipping.
Okay. Since its basically screwed up. Im just going to take the whole thing apart and reseal it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back