Gear for a Reefer 250

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, y'all. Despite just getting my 40B emergency dealt with, I have decided to upgrade a skosh to a new Red Sea Reefer 250 (with the help of a generous reefer friend).

I'll need to buy a new skimmer and a return pump, and may want to look at upgrading a few other things.

If you were getting a new Reefer 250 (54 gal display, 65 gal total w/sump) today, what would your dream skimmer be, and what would your budget choice be?

Same question for return pumps.

There are a lot of options out there -- I'd love some help whittling choices down!

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One of the things that will separate the skimmers and the return pumps is whether the skimmer pump/return pump is AC or DC. Many people love the bells, whistles, and benefits that comes with DC (quieter, lower power consumption, extra adjustability, etc.) and others like the simplicity and lower cost that comes with AC pumps. Personally I have used Reef Octopus skimmers for over a decade and currently have 4 running on different systems. They have both AC and DC options and skimmers that are rated for different sized tanks, but that it not the only quality skimmer brand. Good luck with whatever you choose!

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a varios return pump on my tank and it's silent. As far as skimmers I looked at them all. I ended up choosing the RO Regal 150 their track record and a lucky score from a local reefer made the choice easy.

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the skimmer chamber in that sump? Do you plan on alot of fish or just a few?

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the skimmer chamber in that sump? Do you plan on alot of fish or just a few?
I believe it's 9.8" x 9.8"

EDIT: The skimmer chamber is 13.8”x9.8”.

I'm planning on 8-10 fish (mostly 3" and smaller, but a couple of wrasses).

Last edited:

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, y'all. Despite just getting my 40B emergency dealt with, I have decided to upgrade a skosh to a new Red Sea Reefer 250 (with the help of a generous reefer friend).

I'll need to buy a new skimmer and a return pump, and may want to look at upgrading a few other things.

If you were getting a new Reefer 250 (54 gal display, 65 gal total w/sump) today, what would your dream skimmer be, and what would your budget choice be?

Same question for return pumps.

There are a lot of options out there -- I'd love some help whittling choices down!
I have Red Sea 250 and I use the varios s2 return pump no issues. NYOS quantum skimmer.

c.poindexter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was much happier with my old reef octopus that I was with my skimz skimmer. You could also look into a vectra return pump

RGoltz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just retired a DC skimmer and replaced it with a Nyos. I would say the Nyos “just works”, which is awesome. I wish I had bought the Nyos and a Vectra pump from the get-go.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes time to rebuy a new skimmer for me. Definitely Reef Octopus. Definitely one rated DOUBLE my water volume. Definitely know its going to run me close to 1-grand. But heck, my smartphone cost $1200

Can't beat an oversized skimmer. Defeats many many issues upfront before they even think about becoming problems.

The ability to wetskim using a 2x rated skimmer is pure reefing power. Lightning in a bottle

Last edited:

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please keep your Red Sea reefer 250 simple. Don’t go crazy with adding all sorts of gear in your cabinet. It’s not necessary.
I’m using sicce return pump, vertex skimmer, and tunze powerheads. Said equipment will run a very long time.
the only thing I modded was the ato. I turned that into a fuge.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back