Geckoejon's 220g build thread

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I figured I would start a build thread for my 220g display. I've been waiting a long time to have a big'un! Lol :)

I went with a brand new marineland 220g tank and after having a seam start to separate on a 145g custom. I figured I would go back to basics and get a name brand tank. Hopefully it holds up...

I went with the r&j aquatics stand and hood for the extra height and it being furniture grade wood. *** special note!!! If you are inking about an r&j stand, I highly advise seeing it in person before purchasing... I ordered mine, and had to cut the back brace to get a 75g standard sump in... Not real happy about that! *** other then that, the stand is great. Lol :p

Equipments so far...

- 220g (72x24x30) marineland w/ dual overflows
- R&j aquatics stand and hood, cherry finish
- 75g sump (I got a new tank and installed baffles & 7" filter sock holders)
- 3x hydra 52's. (2 reg and 1 hd)
- ro 220 int skimmer w/ dc pump
- gyre 250 power head
- 2x mp's & battery backup (not sure if I'll use them or not)
- apex gold package
- tunze 3150 ato
- bio pure block and 1/2g of spheres
- waveline dc return pump
- bunch of misc goodies :) lol

I had most of the rock cooking for 3-4 months. I previously vinegar or acid bathed it...

OP
OP
geckoejon

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a box to attach to the end of the stand to contain most of the controls. After a couple more coats, it will hopefully match up failrly close with the stand color. Works out nicely in my head :p we will see how it comes together. Lol I just didn't feel like crawling around under the tank to mess with the controls.... Besides, it gives me something to tweak on until the hypo salinity treatment is over and I can start adding nems and coral

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice job!

Anthony Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a nice looking set up! I have the same sized tank all SPS. You may find out you'll want to use the vortechs because of the tank height. I have two vortech mp40 QD's and although cranked up have more then enough power they create a hot spot the way my aquascape is. You may find out you run into the same situation with the gyre's. So eventually I'm gonna end up putting a couple gyres in the tank to get the flow I want in the tank.

OP
OP
geckoejon

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I'm about done with the gyre's!!! Ugh... I have a 150 and a 130 that are both a pita! :p I'm seriously debating on getting rid of at least one of them.... They break down waaaaay to much for my liking. If they are kept horizontal, they seem to last a little longer between having to take them apart and adjust them. They slip occasionally, and stop working. I have to order more replacement parts already... I also had a small snail crawl into each of the gyre's and they both broke parts.... I'm about ready to sell them and buy a couple jeabos :) lol I might spring for a pair of mp40's, if I am feeling froggy..... I've had 4 tanks and numerous different types of power heads. I've never had so many issues with a single type before...

Anthony Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I'm about done with the gyre's!!! Ugh... I have a 150 and a 130 that are both a pita! :p I'm seriously debating on getting rid of at least one of them.... They break down waaaaay to much for my liking. If they are kept horizontal, they seem to last a little longer between having to take them apart and adjust them. They slip occasionally, and stop working. I have to order more replacement parts already... I also had a small snail crawl into each of the gyre's and they both broke parts.... I'm about ready to sell them and buy a couple jeabos :) lol I might spring for a pair of mp40's, if I am feeling froggy..... I've had 4 tanks and numerous different types of power heads. I've never had so many issues with a single type before...

I love my mp40's and the customer service is bar none the best. Had a controller go bad and they had a new one sent over night. After you saying this I may opt for a couple mp10's to fill the gaps in my tank.

I have jebao's on other tanks of mine. I personally absolutely despise the thought of having to see wires inside my display the reason I'll only have vortechs on it. The gyre's would have been at the surface so the wires wouldn't have been able to be seen in the water.

OP
OP
geckoejon

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my mp40's and the customer service is bar none the best. Had a controller go bad and they had a new one sent over night. After you saying this I may opt for a couple mp10's to fill the gaps in my tank.

I have jebao's on other tanks of mine. I personally absolutely despise the thought of having to see wires inside my display the reason I'll only have vortechs on it. The gyre's would have been at the surface so the wires wouldn't have been able to be seen in the water.

I really like the directional control of the gyre's, and they are great when they run. I might wait a couple more years and try them again. Maybe they will work out the bugs by then. Lol the little plastic inserts break way to easy, and they come out of alignment and stop way to easy, imo.

I have a couple mp10's in there to supplement flow. I need a power head that will allow me to direct flow back behind my rock work... You can't adjust direction on the vortechs... Even if I spring for a couple 40's, I will still need something that I can directionally control... Hence, my thought about going for a jeabo...

OP
OP
geckoejon

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks! i'm diggin it....

i finished the box, attached it, and got most of the controls wrapped up. i still need to perform some finishing touches, but pleased at how it is looking so far :)

i still need some black wrap or something to cover the overflows :p

OP
OP
geckoejon

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks... i am seriously itching to start adding nems and more fish! lol about a month left in hypo salinity before i can though... a buddy is holding my riterri and a couple other gems, while i'm treating these fish for ich...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back