Generally unhealthy looking tank.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... I'm noticing this evening that my tank has an overall unhealthy look and feel to it. I knew this would happen; it was only 3 weeks ago that I was walking around with my chest out, boasting about how well my tank was looking and feeling.

I have a slowly worsening Cyanobacteria problem (there... I said it...)that isn't improving through traditional strategies. Removing Chaeto from the fuge, UV Sterilization, Substrate vacuuming and increased water changes have been unsuccessful.

One thing has changed:

As an experiment, I switched from Reef Crystals to Red Sea Pro about 6 weeks ago. Maybe the switch in salt changed the chemistry in a way more favorable to Cyano growth?

Open to suggestions.
Dom

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my chest out and deflated for the same reason (Cyanobacteria, dang, now you made me say it) I took the same steps as you mentioned and increased my flow (this really helped me), things are finally turning around. I have never switched salts so I can't validate if that could be the cause of yours. I do plan to switch brands soon.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you dose anything? What additives are you currently adding to aquarium? How old is aquarium?

clipperking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemiclean will get rid of the alge problem. Increase flow and check lighting

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the same steps as you mentioned and increased my flow (this really helped me), things are finally turning around.

The problem areas in the tank are areas of high flow

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you dose anything? What additives are you currently adding to aquarium? How old is aquarium?

I do not dose. I rely on faithful water changes for things like Mg and Ca replenishment.

This particular tank is newer than I first realized. The tank is 258 days old (8.5 months). And yes, I suppose the thing to do is be patient and be faithful in my water changes.

I think it is important to note that while the tank is officially up and running 8.5 months, all the water and live rock, came from a smaller setup. Only the substrate was fresh.

If this is due to "new tank syndrome", shouldn't it have happened months ago? This is my first encounter with Cyano in the short time (10 years) I have been in the hobby.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemiclean will get rid of the alge problem. Increase flow and check lighting

The problem areas are areas with high lighting and high flow. Is there a particular color Cayno likes that I can tune out?

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So that is a good thing. So do you use RO/DI water. If so.....what is the TDS?
What are your phosphates and Nitrates?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
post full tank shot, those help tons. gives unspoken/unreported details especially in the sandbed cross section from a standing back shot

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 143 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%

Back