Genicanthus Angelfish compatibility

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening everybody.
I am in the process of restocking my 140 g reef aquarium. I had a beautiful swallow tail that I lost to velvet so I want to add another one. I also saw the bellus and it caught my attention.

According to the LFS store they can be added together, also when I checked the temperament online it stated peaceful. But some people state that there will be aggresion.

Any advice on this? Can I add them both or its better to stick with one.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are both small and added simultaneously it is more likely to work out, though there will be a definite hierarchy.

OP
OP
aykwm

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply
So they are similar to tangs somehow? Add them to the tank at once to avoid any aggression.
The LFS has a 3" swallow and a 1.5" bellus. I think different sizes will cause them to decide the hierarchy without much aggression.

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like they said, add them at the same time and all should be fine. They will probably bicker a bit here and there but nothing more than that. Think of them more like clownfish than tangs, not that they will bond like clownfish but more like how the female clown keeps the male in check. One will be more dominate most likely the melano over the bellus but it won't be much of an issue.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back