Gerald's XL 525

Gerald Anderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

So - I'm a lurker, have been for decades. I've never had the guts to post a build thread on my local club or here. That said I recently decided to move to the next level for RS Reefers and picked up an XL 525, and I'm going to give a build thread a try - so be gentle ; )

History:

Have been in the hobby, oh, I guess around 30 years on and off. Shut down a 100g mixed reef in 2012 to do my MBA and in early 2018 picked up a used RSR 170 which is running today - I'll add a pic later, have a little film algae at the moment. About 8 months ago I had a catastrophe with my reef which just wiped out all of my stoney corals (SPS & LPS), it also got the Zoas, but not a Kenya tree, toadstool, and RBTA. What happened? I had no clue until I did an ICP - Tin and Chromium (if I remember correctly), I had a metal clamp melting on my return hose (out of the water, but with the fuge lights and all it was too humid).

So PSA: DO NOT USE METAL CLAMPS! Use something like: This!

I see them being used all the time in tank pics and I have to refrain from being the clamp police.

Unfortunately, though I'm rebuilding and everything's growing out and looking good, the poor reef still isn't the same. I was doing Triton and had an incredible fuge, and now I can't keep Chaeto alive to save my life, and am suffering the phosphate and nitrate consequences. Just for disclosure, I THINK that it may be that my Kessil H160 is starting to flake out a bit. Every once in a while when the cabinet is open I seem to catch color changes out of the corner of my eye (like individual diodes going on/off), but haven't caught it in the act.

Present:

I recently sat down and did the entire BRSWWC series and it got me intrigued and a little hungry for a bigger tank. My dream is an XXL 750, but decided to temper that a bit and after MUCH mind-changing ended up going with the XL 525 - saving some money on the tank volume and spending that on equipment/livestock. What peaked my interest from the BRSWWC? Well, I mean WWC's tanks are GORGEOUS, and I'm always a fan of trying something new - that makes sense (notice how I'm not saying that it may have also just been a good excuse ; ) I've also never done a bare bottom (and still a little nervous about the idea, I used to be a serious DSB guy and have had 10 year tanks without issue), but I love the promise of detritus control and flow options with bare bottom. So, here we go!

Equipment (purchased):

Red Sea Reefer XL 525 Deluxe. I wanted to try those RS LEDs, I've always been an Radion guy.
Red Sea RSK-600 skimmer. Went back and forth between that and the Reef Octopus 200EXT with a Varios feeding, but in the end couldn't justify twice the price.
Sicce Syncra SDC 7.0 return. This is temporary, will be cannibalizing my Neptune COR from the RSR 170 after cycling the 525.
4 X Vortech MP40wQD - there was no debate here, except I would have LIKED to go with 2 40s and 2 60s, but the 60s are just way too expensive and definitely not needed in this case.\
4 X extra MP40 wet sides for cleaning and failure
3 X Red Sea 90w LEDs - like the price, looks, the flip up arms, recessed single lens, and limited spectrum options. I have to fight myself not to tweak with my Radions.
2 X Cobalt Neo-Therm 300w - again, no real debate. I know 2 x 300w is a bit small for a 130g system, but I'm in North Texas, not worried about getting too cool.
Theilling Compact Rollermat - I REALLY want this to work, if I can get it plumbed well. However, I've always been a felt sock guy and don't mind the every two-three days work and weekly wash.

Equipment (to be cannibalized from RSR 170 after livestock move):
Apex 2016 with 1 EBS32 and normal probes
2 X DOS & DDR
1 X WXM
2 X FMM with ATK and 2 Leak sensors
1 X Neptune AFS
1 X Neptune Trident
Neptune COR 15 as noted above
Kessil H160 (which, as mentioned, I think is flaking, so will look at an H380 or G3 XR15 Pro I have in storage and mount high)

Substrate:

3 X 24x24 Black ABS plastic for tank bottom
100lbs Marco Reef Saver shelf
6 x Marco Medium Foundation
Note: Want a very open, 2 island, aquascape and will augment with ceramic bricks (3-6) in sump

Livestock (To move):

Tomini Tang (inherited with tank)
Mated pair of Ocellaris clowns (same)
Scarlett Fire Shrimp (same)
Mari-cultured Yellow Tang (still maybe a little under 3")
Bi-Color Dotty Back
Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse
Purple Firefish
Filefish ("aptasia eating")
Pinkbar Goby (will have to rehome due to bare bottom - correct if mistaken please)
Pistol Shrimp (same)
Purple firefish
2 small (~1.5") tuxedo urchins

smattering of: blue legged hermits, scarlet hermits, banded trochus snails, nassarius snails,

A few monti frags of various types
a couple birdsnest frags
GSP Rock
Small Zoa Rock (don't remember name off top - blue and yellow)
several misc LPS frags
Several rock flowers (a big fan)
* All of the above is pretty new (sans GSP, it survived the crash), the birdsnests were (no pun intended) canary corals after crash recovery

LIvestock (tentative plan - will definitely take constructive feedback):

2 more Yellow/purple Tangs
Blue Tang
Convict Tang or Powdered X
Would LOVE to end up with Achilles but that's long down the road (aggression thoughts on waiting?)
Tang police armor +5
Lawnmower/other blennies (like what BRS had in XXL 750, not sure they're lawnmower, looked too dark), multiple (2-4?)
(above based on BRSWWC, Like the thinking)

Possibly NigerTrigger - one of my all-time favorites, but never put them in a reef and concerned about inverts (shrimps). I do feed well, though.
Possibly Copper Banded, but that's down the road and need to be more confident in ability to feed
Ruby and Green Mandarins (obviously far down the road)
3-5 Skunk Cleaner shrimps (another all-time favorite)
6-line wrasse, 2? Other wrasses (remember, I have the Lubbock's)?
Anthias (small school, no specifics yet)
Blue Green Chromis (small school)

None of the above is hard-core plan, that's just what's rattling around in my head at this point. Will cycle for 2 months before considering fish/Inverts, and looking at a 4 month cycle for corals.

Chemistry:

I'm a big fan of the Triton method, just makes sense to me. However, I've recently starting using (home-made, BRS) All For Reef and I have to admit, I kind of like it. Freed up a DOS for AWC. I'll probably stay with the AFR, but definitely feeling the pull of Triton (until I'm well stocked and sucking it, and my bank account, down).

I use Tropic Marin Pro as my normal salt, however got a bucket of plain jane Instant Ocean for cycling the big tank.

Trace - I really don't add trace without a noted need.

I do feed corals Red Sea A+B, and will move to AB+ when I'm out, for aminos, etc.

I will maintain a chaeto fuge.

If you've read through all that garbage, here's a couple pics of what showed up today as a reward! Thanks for reading and stay tuned for more (actually have more I want to do now, but need to move on for the day).

[Removed, had address sticker in plain view, I'll try to remember to repost when I have time to edit]
Truck just left

IMG_0639.jpg

Just unwrapped - kids had a blast

IMG_0641.jpg

Tank and sump

IMG_0640.jpg

New Equipment. Not shown: 1 MP40 not here yet, and 1 RS LED was left out of order, expect it to be corrected quickly\

IMG_0642.jpg

Placement. Ranch house on slab, so no weight worries. Wasn't originally going to put in front of window but after much thinking I think it'll be ok. RSRs have the black back, it's a North facing window, and can black out if I really need to. Piece of wood is the top of the aquarium shipping crate to see approx size/placement.

Cheers!!

[edit, deleted pic]

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back