Get rid of hermit crabs?

maroonclown65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debating the pros and cons of getting rid of my hermit crabs, tank is an 18.5 gallon low nutrient system quite full of coral. I have plenty of coral in the sand bed and I'll be getting a big acan colony of 10 or more heads this Sunday I just find that the hermit crabs are annoying and knock over a lot of my corals and cause them to close up often my question is do you think it's safe to get rid of them? I was wondering if anyone has chosen to get rid of their if their tank has been up for a while (mines been up for over a year and a half and it's very stable) also I have a fireshrimp that cleans the tank up a lot

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tossed them out of my main tank years ago and never looked back. I keep only a single one in each of my other 2 tanks, I find one is just the right number of hermits.
I vote TWO small hermits as the perfect number!
Actually, I stopped keeping hermits a couple of years ago as well, mainly due to snail predation.

The only negative I see is that the part of my rockwork that started as dry rock still gets some hair algae in nooks and crannies and small hermits seem best to be able to get at that.

OP
OP
M

maroonclown65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote TWO small hermits as the perfect number!
Actually, I stopped keeping hermits a couple of years ago as well, mainly due to snail predation.

The only negative I see is that the part of my rockwork that started as dry rock still gets some hair algae in nooks and crannies and small hermits seem best to be able to get at that.
Think I'll keep 2 thanks!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back