Get this coral off the plug.

jwesley5480

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this wonderful branching hammer at my LFS and I want to put it on my rockscape. Problem is it’s got this very ugly plug at the bottom and I’m kinda new to coral. What do I do?

1DFE3B0D-5DCB-438B-8C97-C05DAADE410B.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hacksaw just above the ugly plug where it intersects the main bone branch of the lps. Go slowly and it should cut fairly easy and leave you a flat end. Superglue gel that end onto it's forever new home in the tank.

OP
OP
J

jwesley5480

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it was just a flat white plug I’d glue it to the rock like my other ones but it’s this purple flat base kind of like a fake rock. I remember a video saying this is an aquaculture type plug I think. Does that sound right? Anyways I need a bone cutter or diamond blade dremel to cut it right?.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it was just a flat white plug I’d glue it to the rock like my other ones but it’s this purple flat base kind of like a fake rock. I remember a video saying this is an aquaculture type plug I think. Does that sound right? Anyways I need a bone cutter or diamond blade dremel to cut it right?.
In six months it'll look the same as the rest of your rock. Trust me...

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That skeleton is flakey inside and will cut with a regular hacksaw blade. You need a saw to cut through because the bone cutter will tend to crush it instead of cut. A wire saw used for pvc would also work, but you need a vice to hold with a wire saw taking two hands.

Edit, even a dremel can use the fibre board cut off wheel and make quick work of it.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just got it, it will survive on the plug nicely until it is acclimated to your tank. GL

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back