Getting a Sunburst Anthias to Eat

  • Thread starter Thread starter Symoluck
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Symoluck

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 18, 2026
Messages
19
Reaction score
7
Location
New York City
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How difficult is it to get a Sunburst/Fathead Anthias to eat?
I got one yesterday after reading up on them and seeing that they are some of the more middling anthias to keep, and because I love their looks and their funny habit of hanging out upside down on things.
I've got an auto feeder on the tank running Avast's Reef Jerky, and feed a highly varied frozen cocktail at least once a day. So there's a large quantity of diverse food items throughout the day.
She hasn't eaten just yet as far as I can tell, but she's a healthy weight so I'm not massively concerned. However, I just wanted to get some tips as to what I could do to make her grub a bit.
 
I used newly hatched baby brine to first get my anthias eating, or any other picky fish for that matter. Once they start eating the baby brine its usually easier to introduce other foods.
 
I used newly hatched baby brine to first get my anthias eating, or any other picky fish for that matter. Once they start eating the baby brine its usually easier to introduce other foods.
I was looking to start that.
Is there any particular time that Sunbursts tend to be more active or more willing to eat?
That way I can keep an eye out and feed at the best times.
 
Don’t expect them to be the tank pig when it comes to eating. At least that’s been my experience. I have a pair now for over 5 years and if they eat 1 Mysis or brine shrimp when I feed that’s a lot. I suspect they also feed on pods otherwise mine would have been dead long ago.
 
I think mine might be an exception. When I got my sunburst, he was already out exploring the QT and eating within two hours. He'd eat pretty much any small frozen food I added, including LRS, mysis, spirulina brine and calanus. Even in my main tank he's always out with the other fish and eats like a pig.

 
I think mine might be an exception. When I got my sunburst, he was already out exploring the QT and eating within two hours. He'd eat pretty much any small frozen food I added, including LRS, mysis, spirulina brine and calanus. Even in my main tank he's always out with the other fish and eats like a pig.


Seeing your vids actually convinced me to get one lol.
 
Don’t expect them to be the tank pig when it comes to eating. At least that’s been my experience. I have a pair now for over 5 years and if they eat 1 Mysis or brine shrimp when I feed that’s a lot. I suspect they also feed on pods otherwise mine would have been dead long ago.
Got it. I add something around 8k-10k pods every week to the tank, so I hope that'll help.
 
I think mine might be an exception. When I got my sunburst, he was already out exploring the QT and eating within two hours. He'd eat pretty much any small frozen food I added, including LRS, mysis, spirulina brine and calanus. Even in my main tank he's always out with the other fish and eats like a pig.


You can also try PE calanus
I used newly hatched baby brine to first get my anthias eating, or any other picky fish for that matter. Once they start eating the baby brine its usually easier to introduce other foods.
Thanks all for the help.
Big Mac (that's her name now) ended up eating in front of me about a day after this post, first on a bit of something in my frozen mix, then the freeze dried reef jerky.
I added a bunch more calanus to the frozen, so that might've helped.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new