Getting back into reefing - Unique issue

Maroon_Obsessed

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 6, 2026
Messages
1
Reaction score
3
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

After a few years away from the hobby due to some pretty major medical issues, which unfortunately meant I had to give up my beloved reef tank, I finally feel like I’m well enough to start again.

Reef keeping brought so much to my life, and I’ve really missed having a tank, so I’m incredibly excited to get back into it.

The biggest difference this time is that I now use a wheelchair. That definitely isn’t going to stop me, but it does mean I need to think things through a bit more carefully from the start, especially when it comes to accessibility and being able to maintain the tank myself.

At the moment I’m trying to work out the best tank dimensions.

I’m thinking a wide, shallow lagoon-style tank would probably work best for me, around 90 cm long x 60 cm deep x 35 cm high. I really like the idea of the larger footprint while keeping it shallow enough that I can comfortably reach into it.

My only concern is whether 35 cm is too shallow for the fish. I’m planning on keeping a pair of Maroon Clownfish, an anemone and a clean up crew.

The other option is basically the same tank but 60 cm high. I could manage that, but it would definitely make maintenance and reaching into the tank more difficult for me.

If you were in my position, would you go with the 35 cm high lagoon for the accessibility, or would you go with the 60 cm height and deal with the extra difficulty?

I’d really appreciate any thoughts or advice, especially if anyone has experience with shallow reef tanks.

Thanks guys!
 
So 35cm is almost 14” and there is no problem keeping fish in that, but, like all tanks, got to have a mesh lid.

Innovative marine has lagoon style AIO tanks running 16” so 40cm and I posted an example of one of mine below.

The IM fusion line comes with everything ready to go out of the box including return pump, sock, media caddy and mesh lid if that’s of interest to you.

The stand will make it to high for you, so consider a custom stand say around 18” so the top is about 34” so you can maintain your tank without getting out of your chair.

Good luck. Make it easy to work with!
This glass is 16” high.
IMG_1716.jpeg
 
I am really happy for you that you are in a place to resume a hobby you love. I would make the tank as maintenance friendly as possible, (I've even done that with my last build because I am not as young as I used to be. 😉) Aquarium tasks take more time and energy than they used to so I simplified my current build. I would imagine that you will also find that aquarium chores will be more taxing than they used to be, so save energy where you can. And best wishes to you!
 
Hey guys,

After a few years away from the hobby due to some pretty major medical issues, which unfortunately meant I had to give up my beloved reef tank, I finally feel like I’m well enough to start again.

Reef keeping brought so much to my life, and I’ve really missed having a tank, so I’m incredibly excited to get back into it.

The biggest difference this time is that I now use a wheelchair. That definitely isn’t going to stop me, but it does mean I need to think things through a bit more carefully from the start, especially when it comes to accessibility and being able to maintain the tank myself.

At the moment I’m trying to work out the best tank dimensions.

I’m thinking a wide, shallow lagoon-style tank would probably work best for me, around 90 cm long x 60 cm deep x 35 cm high. I really like the idea of the larger footprint while keeping it shallow enough that I can comfortably reach into it.

My only concern is whether 35 cm is too shallow for the fish. I’m planning on keeping a pair of Maroon Clownfish, an anemone and a clean up crew.

The other option is basically the same tank but 60 cm high. I could manage that, but it would definitely make maintenance and reaching into the tank more difficult for me.

If you were in my position, would you go with the 35 cm high lagoon for the accessibility, or would you go with the 60 cm height and deal with the extra difficulty?

I’d really appreciate any thoughts or advice, especially if anyone has experience with shallow reef tanks.

Thanks guys!
welcome to reef to reef and welcome back to reefing!
would definetly love to see how the build turns out, what kind of anenome are you thinking of getting for the maroons?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new