Getting back into Reefing

chachew

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 15, 2018
Messages
30
Reaction score
40
Location
Pearland, TX
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have been out of the reef game for about 3 years and i'm planning to get back into things within the next few months. I still have some of my old equipment so i'm going to use a lot of that but as far as the tank/sump/stand, that will be all new. What i think i have settled on tank wise is the IM Nuvo 40 Black. Im going to build a custom stand that stands 3ft(36") off the floor and put the sump down below. I like this IM tank but REALLY wish it was low-iron but i cant seem to find a cube this size with that glass, anyone have a suggestion on that? I'm thinking a 20g sump/fuge in the bottom but i'm also having problems finding a cube big enough that is NOT a 20g Long. I want to have the ATO reservoir and all the pumps/skimmers/etc hidden down below as i've done in the past with the 40B tank i use to have. Does anyone have a suggestion for the cube sump? Possibly the Crystal Cube Sump 18 but its just a bit pricey for that small of a sump. I can make my own out of glass and acrylic if i can find a suitable glass tank.



For the IM Nuvo Tank, does the blue IM decal come off the front tank glass?



Equipment that i am thinking of so far:

  • IM Nuvo Black - $191 (purchase)
  • Crystal Cube Sump 18 - $265 (purchase)
  • Modular Marine 800 GPH Low Profile - $109 (purchase)
  • 2X EcoTech MP10W - $0 (own)
  • Reef Octopus 150 Skimmer - $0 (own)
  • Return Pump - $0 (own)
  • 1X Kessil A160WE Tuna Blue - $239 (purchase)
  • Reef Angel Controller - $0 (own)
  • Fuge/Chaeto grow light? - $? (purchase)
  • BRS Dry Rock - $0 (own)
  • Heater - $? (purchase)


Im sure there are some other things i haven't listed so ill add those to the list as i go along. You guys have any suggestions on a build like this? Thanks!
 
So i have been out of the reef game for about 3 years and i'm planning to get back into things within the next few months. I still have some of my old equipment so i'm going to use a lot of that but as far as the tank/sump/stand, that will be all new. What i think i have settled on tank wise is the IM Nuvo 40 Black. Im going to build a custom stand that stands 3ft(36") off the floor and put the sump down below. I like this IM tank but REALLY wish it was low-iron but i cant seem to find a cube this size with that glass, anyone have a suggestion on that? I'm thinking a 20g sump/fuge in the bottom but i'm also having problems finding a cube big enough that is NOT a 20g Long. I want to have the ATO reservoir and all the pumps/skimmers/etc hidden down below as i've done in the past with the 40B tank i use to have. Does anyone have a suggestion for the cube sump? Possibly the Crystal Cube Sump 18 but its just a bit pricey for that small of a sump. I can make my own out of glass and acrylic if i can find a suitable glass tank.



For the IM Nuvo Tank, does the blue IM decal come off the front tank glass?



Equipment that i am thinking of so far:

  • IM Nuvo Black - $191 (purchase)
  • Crystal Cube Sump 18 - $265 (purchase)
  • Modular Marine 800 GPH Low Profile - $109 (purchase)
  • 2X EcoTech MP10W - $0 (own)
  • Reef Octopus 150 Skimmer - $0 (own)
  • Return Pump - $0 (own)
  • 1X Kessil A160WE Tuna Blue - $239 (purchase)
  • Reef Angel Controller - $0 (own)
  • Fuge/Chaeto grow light? - $? (purchase)
  • BRS Dry Rock - $0 (own)
  • Heater - $? (purchase)


Im sure there are some other things i haven't listed so ill add those to the list as i go along. You guys have any suggestions on a build like this? Thanks!
Welcome to R2R!!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
giphy (1).gif

Looks to be a very promising build :) #WelcometoR2R
 
Welcome. That sounds like an exciting build and better yet, a money saver. Can’t wait to see the progress.
 
Lots of things got in the way and I didn't have much time to get the tank all dialed in. So now I'm restarting the tank and cleaning everything up. I moved it into my office since I have been working from home the last 6 months. Order and received my cleanup crew today. Have a few more odds and ends coming in this weekend.

I'm adding more live rock as we speak so that's not in the shot yet.

IMG_20200820_183527.jpg
 
So i have been out of the reef game for about 3 years and i'm planning to get back into things within the next few months. I still have some of my old equipment so i'm going to use a lot of that but as far as the tank/sump/stand, that will be all new. What i think i have settled on tank wise is the IM Nuvo 40 Black. Im going to build a custom stand that stands 3ft(36") off the floor and put the sump down below. I like this IM tank but REALLY wish it was low-iron but i cant seem to find a cube this size with that glass, anyone have a suggestion on that? I'm thinking a 20g sump/fuge in the bottom but i'm also having problems finding a cube big enough that is NOT a 20g Long. I want to have the ATO reservoir and all the pumps/skimmers/etc hidden down below as i've done in the past with the 40B tank i use to have. Does anyone have a suggestion for the cube sump? Possibly the Crystal Cube Sump 18 but its just a bit pricey for that small of a sump. I can make my own out of glass and acrylic if i can find a suitable glass tank.



For the IM Nuvo Tank, does the blue IM decal come off the front tank glass?



Equipment that i am thinking of so far:

  • IM Nuvo Black - $191 (purchase)
  • Crystal Cube Sump 18 - $265 (purchase)
  • Modular Marine 800 GPH Low Profile - $109 (purchase)
  • 2X EcoTech MP10W - $0 (own)
  • Reef Octopus 150 Skimmer - $0 (own)
  • Return Pump - $0 (own)
  • 1X Kessil A160WE Tuna Blue - $239 (purchase)
  • Reef Angel Controller - $0 (own)
  • Fuge/Chaeto grow light? - $? (purchase)
  • BRS Dry Rock - $0 (own)
  • Heater - $? (purchase)


Im sure there are some other things i haven't listed so ill add those to the list as i go along. You guys have any suggestions on a build like this? Thanks!
Welcome back chachew.
Can't stay away forever.
Sounds like you have a plan
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new