Getting back to the hobby after 20 years

TANG-WELCOME.gif
 
just getting back into the hobby with my kids. I had quite a few tanks over the years but gave it up when I got married and moved into a new house 20 yrs ago.

I bought a used setup on marketplace, 36” bowfront (which I believe is around 49g) with sump, current ramp pro light and the rest I went out and got. Been setup for a few months now started with live sand and live rock, after cycling got a clown fish, peppermint shrimp, and a couple hermit crabs. I’m also awaiting the cure on 2 different diy live rock molds one with the standard aragonite, Portland and sand and the other I tried white sanded grout. Both should be ready soon I hope, they are on week 4 and ph seems to have leveled off at 8.0 in the cure water (was 9/10). ( for anyone interested I got the high readings using the ph kit for my pool and adding the acid demand-reagent to see how many drops was needed to bring it down to a readable number).
One thing that surprised me was just how expensive things have gotten for livestock but what’s worse (imo) is how few places are left to buy from here in northern NJ. I was happy to see absolutely fish still around in Clifton with an amazing inventory. I picked up some daisies and Green star polyp frags from them just today.
Looking forward to participating in the forums!
Thanks
Rick

Hi RIck and Welcome Back to the hobby! Glad you joined. Yes, things have really changed but its still as rewarding as ever! Congrats on finding deal on Marketplace to bring you back - hunting down quality used items is one of my budget saving tips I use.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in Northern New Jersey:
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/local-reef-club-discussion.516/
This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.84/
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new