Getting converted from Freshwater tanks to Saltwater by my brother

eldrad1267

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am a freshwater tank owner who is very interested in getting into saltwater reef keeping. After helping take care of my brother's 10-gallon saltwater tank I am very interested in trying it myself. He keeps a good variety of soft, LPS and SPS in just 10 gallons and has a Hector's goby I love as well as so many live rock hitchhikers and inverts I love watching. I also watch Tidal Gardens YouTube channel and I love those videos and have learned a lot there too.

I am looking to get a ~10-15-gallon tank or maybe even larger. The only issue is that I live in a carpeted apartment, and I am not sure if I should put the tank on my dresser next to my freshwater tank or if I should find a tank and tank stand that works on carpet. Any advice there may be nice.

Very excited to be here and lurk around R2R. Thanks for having me and thank to @LegalReefer for introducing me to a great hobby!

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

I also started in freshwater and fell in love with saltwater. I couldn't wait to get my first tank set up.

I have only ever had my saltwater tanks on carpet and have never had any issues. I have one standard wooden stand and a metal frame stand. If you are thinking something smaller like 10 to 15 gallons it shoudnt be an issue having it on carpet.

I personally would not advise putting it on your dresser if it's made of wood and you want to keep it nice. You will inevitably spill saltwater on it which is a lot harder on wood than freshwater.

Good luck and ask lots of questions!!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
79EF765F-FDBD-4E9A-9697-4F05A546F128.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

ABQ_CHRIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the community. I keep both freshwater and saltwater tanks. A lot of us started out with freshwater.

As for your tank placement question, it shouldn't matter as long as it's a nice level surface that can support the additional weight.
I concur.

Hello and welcome.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am a freshwater tank owner who is very interested in getting into saltwater reef keeping. After helping take care of my brother's 10-gallon saltwater tank I am very interested in trying it myself. He keeps a good variety of soft, LPS and SPS in just 10 gallons and has a Hector's goby I love as well as so many live rock hitchhikers and inverts I love watching. I also watch Tidal Gardens YouTube channel and I love those videos and have learned a lot there too.

I am looking to get a ~10-15-gallon tank or maybe even larger. The only issue is that I live in a carpeted apartment, and I am not sure if I should put the tank on my dresser next to my freshwater tank or if I should find a tank and tank stand that works on carpet. Any advice there may be nice.

Very excited to be here and lurk around R2R. Thanks for having me and thank to @LegalReefer for introducing me to a great hobby!
THATS what brothers are for....

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 192 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back