Getting my fish drunk.....

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to start dosing vodka (of the 5 o'clock variety) soon and was wondering how everyone goes about doing it.... I also dose mb-7 which says to shut off the skimmer for 4 hrs so should I dose it with the mb-7 and leave the skimmer off for 4 hrs still or should I do it after I turn the skimmer back on... does it matter??

Seams like I'd want the skimmer on and adding air back into the system as I have heard vodka can deplete oxygen in a system fairly easily (atleast if u OD)

islander84

Island Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i personally dont dose it but the main purpose is to feed the mb7 a carbon souce( vodka in this case) The bacteria will give off more co2 as it breaksdown certain byproducts in your tank...mainly nitrates and phosphates.....if you can find the thread about carbon dosing it will help you out alot with better understanding how carbon dosing affects the aquarium.

Tequilero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mb7 and
Vodka for 1.5 years and I never shut the skimmer off. I don't like the Skimmer to lose the head accomplished and if it means a lil mb7 wasted Np!

Reefkeeping magazine has the info you need. It all depends on you volume. I do 1 part vodka and
2 parts mb7, why, just do and notice no extra algae or dinos when I dose this way.

If I just dose vodka I see white webbies on the glass so
I bought a 1 gallon thing of mb7 and a 1.75L bottle of smirnoff triple distilled at Costco and I'm set.

It helps my nitrates at least to stay under 5. Off of it my nitrates can get to 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 86 45.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 45.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.0%
Back