Getting Nitrite And Ammonia Eating Bacteria To Grow

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking I could add a few pieces of live rock and a small dead shrimp with the bare base rock to cure the tank. There is a Quick start product I could use also. I have a ten gallon tank. Thanks to you all.

quick.PNG

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking I could add a few pieces of live rock and a small dead shrimp with the bare base rock to cure the tank.
Yes, you can do that and it will start your nitrogen cycle.
There is a Quick start product I could use also. I have a ten gallon tank. Thanks to you all.
That product (along with many others in the category) is misleading. You still have to start the cycle with a source of ammonia, this is unavoidable, what that product actually does is add the bacteria that needs to grow to speed up the cycle time, it doesn't start it/complete it for you. No matter what you need an input source of ammonia, and it's for that reason a bunch of people recommend Dr. Tim's One and Only because it comes with a source of ammonia that you can dose as well as a complete walkthrough on what to look out for and when. But if you're already familiar with the process and want to do it with a shrimp, that way is just as valid.

OP
OP
reeftankdude

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can do that and it will start your nitrogen cycle.

That product (along with many others in the category) is misleading. You still have to start the cycle with a source of ammonia, this is unavoidable, what that product actually does is add the bacteria that needs to grow to speed up the cycle time, it doesn't start it/complete it for you. No matter what you need an input source of ammonia, and it's for that reason a bunch of people recommend Dr. Tim's One and Only because it comes with a source of ammonia that you can dose as well as a complete walkthrough on what to look out for and when. But if you're already familiar with the process and want to do it with a shrimp, that way is just as valid.
Thanks

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 fish, 1 anemone and a number of corals in my 30 gal tank in under 2 months.
I started with live rock and Stability. My live rock was full of life. I don't think anything died due to water conditions.
All I know I lost is my baby Linkia star (probably eaten by crab) and one snail probably due to lack of suitable food.
Everything else is thriving

OP
OP
reeftankdude

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 fish, 1 anemone and a number of corals in my 30 gal tank in under 2 months.
I started with live rock and Stability. My live rock was full of life. I don't think anything died due to water conditions.
All I know I lost is my baby Linkia star (probably eaten by crab) and one snail probably due to lack of suitable food.
Everything else is thriving
Thanks

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back