Getting rid of some pests

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a bunch of aptasia growing in my sand bed and some kind of tube worm-like thing growing all over in my rocks. How could I get rid of them? I'm more worried about the aptasia. I was thinking about getting a Peppermint Shrimp but was worried about it having food after all the aptasisa are gone and space in my tank. I have a 32.5-gallon tank and I want a cleaner, fire, or coral-banded shrimp in it but wasn't sure if the peppermint shrimp wouldn't have enough space or would get bullied or something. Any thoughts? Thank you!

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can answer your questions partially. Pepermint shrimp is not eating only Aiptasia, it's a scavenger, so will eat other food too. In a matter of fact it may not be interested in Aiptasia if there's enough food around. I had limited experience with peppermint shrimp controlling Aiptasia, but some people did. As for the other part-you might be right, peppermint shrimp never lasted long in my tank, they have rather short live span, but perhaps also became snacks for my fish, or got starved.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can control the vermetid worms by crushing their bases with needle-nose pliers or some other type of tool.

Peppermint shrimp -- and all other biological forms of control aside from berghia nudibranchs -- are strictly hit-or-miss. I've never had any luck with them, but if you're interested, there are many threads on "spotting the TRUE peppermint shrimp" that you'll need to read before buying any. Aiptasia-eating specimens are found in a complex of lookalike, related species that do nothing to aiptasia, but are widely sold as such.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a bunch of aptasia growing in my sand bed and some kind of tube worm-like thing growing all over in my rocks. How could I get rid of them? I'm more worried about the aptasia. I was thinking about getting a Peppermint Shrimp but was worried about it having food after all the aptasisa are gone and space in my tank. I have a 32.5-gallon tank and I want a cleaner, fire, or coral-banded shrimp in it but wasn't sure if the peppermint shrimp wouldn't have enough space or would get bullied or something. Any thoughts? Thank you!
I have had great success ridding my tank of aptasia using Berghia nudibranchs, the only thing they eat is aptasia. I got mine from Reeftown but Tidal Gardens and Dinkins aquatic garden also sell them. Dinkins just started selling them and I think are having a special. If the Berghia’s are the same quality as their phyto and pods you won’t be disappointed. I really need a picture of the tube things to be sure. Feather duster worms (good) vermatid snails (bad). If vermatids bumble bee snails will make a snack of them. Good luck.

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had great success ridding my tank of aptasia using Berghia nudibranchs, the only thing they eat is aptasia. I got mine from Reeftown but Tidal Gardens and Dinkins aquatic garden also sell them. Dinkins just started selling them and I think are having a special. If the Berghia’s are the same quality as their phyto and pods you won’t be disappointed. I really need a picture of the tube things to be sure. Feather duster worms (good) vermatid snails (bad). If vermatids bumble bee snails will make a snack of them. Good luck.
Thanks! I'll check it out. I'm on vacation right now, so I can't take a picture right now, but I will when I get back (on Sunday). One question, would the nudis die when they eat all the aptasia?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'll check it out. I'm on vacation right now, so I can't take a picture right now, but I will when I get back (on Sunday). One question, would the nudis die when they eat all the aptasia?
You are correct sir, as Captain Jeff told me when I asked him the same question, the same thing happens in nature, however you can always donate to another reefer in the same predicament or your local lfs. By the way, where does someone who lives in the Bahamas go to vacation?!?!

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct sir, as Captain Jeff told me when I asked him the same question, the same thing happens in nature, however you can always donate to another reefer in the same predicament or your local lfs. By the way, where does someone who lives in the Bahamas go to vacation?!?!
Haha!! I don't live in the Bahamas, but if I did, I wouldn't go ANYWHERE. Thanks for the advice. I just looked at some nudis for sale, why are they so expensive?!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha!! I don't live in the Bahamas, but if I did, I wouldn't go ANYWHERE. Thanks for the advice. I just looked at some nudis for sale, why are they so expensive?!
The biggest expense is the overnight shipping! I don’t think they do well shipping for longer. Ya they are expensive but worth it my opinion. You see one, unless it is on a new frag plug, you can almost guarantee there’s more and often in places you can’t see or reach but they will find them in all the nooks and crannies.

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest expense is the overnight shipping! I don’t think they do well shipping for longer. Ya they are expensive but worth it my opinion. You see one, unless it is on a new frag plug, you can almost guarantee there’s more and often in places you can’t see or reach but they will find them in all the nooks and crannies.
I saw that the company reccomends getting a couple of them so that they will breed. Is that true? Or do they normally come with eggs in them or something?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that the company reccomends getting a couple of them so that they will breed. Is that true? Or do they normally come with eggs in them or something?
Typically the minimum you want is 3 and yes the will breed in your tank. I know Reeftown has a recommendation of one per gallon. If you have less than 30 gallons 3 is still required.
5E1C8C58-FD7C-49A7-8976-57D36F819979.jpeg

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 should be good, they reproduce( amphipods eat their eggs). A fourth would be an insurance policy since you are slightly over 30 gallons. It’s your call, most of the money is in shipping. If money is an issue, which it is in this hobby, I think you’ll be fine with three. Good luck and keep me posted. I hope you get great results.

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 should be good, they reproduce( amphipods eat their eggs). A fourth would be an insurance policy since you are slightly over 30 gallons. It’s your call, most of the money is in shipping. If money is an issue, which it is in this hobby, I think you’ll be fine with three. Good luck and keep me posted. I hope you get great results.
Thanks! Will do!

BuckChoklit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had a 50/50 with the peppermints for aipasia. They get rid of it but then in turn may and or will eat any torches in your tank. Ive had luck taking out rock and putting it in a seperate tank to let them have at it, its just a PITA.
As for the tube worms i had really good luck with bumble bee snails. My tank had them all over the place and the bumble bees took care of them all. GL

Back