Getting the itch after 20years

1965Cadillac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to look at at getting into the hobby again now that the kids are older and I have more time again, used to have a 72 bowfront(pic below)mixed reef, looking at a 180 with a 8x10 fish room behind tank I still have much of my older equipment I see a few things changed but not much automation has come strides though , I know I’m a few years out for a complete build my question with live rock not as ready available as it once was, could I possibly start curing dry rock in a stock tank for 6-8 months or more with a few live rock seeds to help reduce cycle and build up benifical bacteria? Or do you need livestock to keep feeding the bacteria? One of my biggest concerns is in the summer we have a seasonal campsite and are gone Friday -mid day Sunday I think with the right automation my tank could survive, thoughts please? Am I being too ambitious
D7B4361A-4270-4647-A60F-A3E4DAA4FDD0.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You absolutely could start your rock early. Just need to heat, circulate, and manage salinity in the water. If you want live rock without the fuss you can check out KP and gulfliverock.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back