how does Live Dry Rock actually work and can I copy the concept?

NicolasFSS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my sump for my 500 G tank ready but the acrylic custom made DT will arrive in October. Would it make sense to take the sterile coral rocks (I disinfected them in Chlorine for a few days) and start cycling them in the sump with added bacteria and added ammonia and then take them out of the sump once the DT arrived to start making the scape? the rocks would need to be dried and stay dry at least for a few days during gluing etc. how long would beneficial bacteria survive in a dry state?

OP
OP
N

NicolasFSS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert on the subject, but I'm fairly certain that live rock needs to stay wet in order to continue being effective.
I would think. so too but that would mean that all the "live" dry rocks being sold are a sham...

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry equals dead.

You could cycle your rock in the sump and the assemble it out of the water, but not let it dry, by using a wet compatible fixative like those made by Seachem and Caribsea. You'd loose some of the beneficial bacteria on the on rock but you'd have head start on cycling the tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There, I believe, are some companies that supposedly add 'bacteria that can remove ammonia' - but they are hetererotrophic - and some must be in spore form. So - the concept of Dry = dead is IMHO incorrect.

With regards to the other question - You can do as you planned (i.e. starting your cycle)

With regards to keeping live rock out of water - the man issue is keeping the rock wet - either with a saltwater mist, It need not be underwater.

3 months underwater, and every 'dead dry rock' has now become live rock

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can go as some said, start cycling rock now and assemble now as well, wait to assemble but keep wet, or wait through enough fritz in and just and corals and slowly add other livestock. All are plausible and work. Even add fritz now since you dont have live rock or get a few rocks from a trusted source to see.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think. so too but that would mean that all the "live" dry rocks being sold are a sham...
Are you planning on having any rock in the sump, or is it all going into the display? Otherwise, cycling it and then drying it to glue will not help.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you planning on having any rock in the sump, or is it all going into the display? Otherwise, cycling it and then drying it to glue will not help.
I thought he was going to 'wet glue' it....

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back