GFCI trips - what are my options?

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure where you’re located but I’m a contractor in both California and Colorado and it’s not normal to have a whole house wired with 12 gauge wire (modern or not). There are certain areas that require a 20 amp circuit (and therefore have 12 gauge wire) but the majority of the house would normally be 15 amp (14 gauge wire).
I’m outside of Atlanta. All the houses I’ve seen built within the last 10 or so years are wired with 12. Mine was built with 12, but a previous resident started finishing the basement using 14.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m outside of Atlanta. All the houses I’ve seen built within the last 10 or so years are wired with 12. Mine was built with 12, but a previous resident started finishing the basement using 14.
This is a perfect example of why giving construction advice on a national forum isn’t always best. Each jurisdiction has their own codes.

@xaflatoonx, did you find out what the problem was?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
San Antonio requires a minimum of #12 wire in residential homes. Romex/NM cable is also required to be colored Yellow for #12 and Orange for #10 to make it easy for the inspectors. Also if you add a receptacle it must be Arc Fault protected or a combination Arc fault/Ground Fault. Place your light on its on GFCI Receptacle. Heaters should also be on their own GFCi, so they do not take your tank down if the GFCI trips. In use covers are also a nice addition

That is interesting. I wonder how many other localities have switched to that code. eliminating 15 amp circuits

OP
OP
xaflatoonx

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a perfect example of why giving construction advice on a national forum isn’t always best. Each jurisdiction has their own codes.

@xaflatoonx, did you find out what the problem was?

Not yet sir -
the out let has tripped twice since i posted this .
My plan of action is below.

1. Replace the GFCI to a regular per ATIs recommendation
2. Ask electrician for verification if i can swtich the breaker on this circuit to a 20.
3. Ask electrician for an additional connection from the room behind - it will be a third cricuit to connect to the tank.

lets see how far do i have to go.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is interesting. I wonder how many other localities have switched to that code. eliminating 15 amp circuits
They didn’t eliminate 15 amp circuits. I guess maybe since people commonly try to remedy this problem by upsizing receptacles and breakers they made it standard practice to install wiring that can accommodate it? I don’t really know, But it’s still 15 amp receptacles.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back