Help: Apex COR 20 randomly tripping GFCI

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has just started happening to me. This tank is about two years now. Randomly...sometimes at night, sometimes in the morning, sometimes mid-afternoon, my tank is throwing the entire GFCI. I'm runnig two Power Bars, none of which are drawing an appreciable amount of amps. It's a 15a GFCI.

I've narrowed it down to my COR 20, my main return pump. When I plug my bars in, and don't have the COR plugged in, it starts up fine. When I plug them in with it plugged in, instantly trips it.

However, if I wait 5 minutes to plug in the COR, everything is fine. Is my COR crapping the bed?

1694371461357.png

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is two years about the lifespan of these? They aren't cheap pumps...
I have not had one but I believe they are supposed to last for more than that. In the raffle of pump life you’re taking it in the shorts.
Sorry, I’ve had mixed results using electric pumps and longevity myself.

OP
OP
Siberwulf

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, just got back from the LFS and got a 1Link which is apparently the "preferred" replacement for the crappy COR20 PS. After about 15 minutes...it tripped again. Where else should I look at this?

XtraKargo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, just got back from the LFS and got a 1Link which is apparently the "preferred" replacement for the crappy COR20 PS. After about 15 minutes...it tripped again. Where else should I look at this?
GFCI outlets that trip a lot are prone to trip more and more as they get weaker. You may have it replaced.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe an option down the road. Today, I need a return pump to work.
Have you tried taking the pump apart and cleaning it thoroughly to make sure that it’s spinning freely also, will you do this perform a good inspection making sure there’s no cracks in the housing

OP
OP
Siberwulf

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried taking the pump apart and cleaning it thoroughly to make sure that it’s spinning freely also, will you do this perform a good inspection making sure there’s no cracks in the housing
I did take it apart the other day to pull a snail out of it (stupid babies) and checked it was spinning with no noise. I didn't notice anything. Should I feel stray voltage if this was cracked?

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prolly should of bought a cheap pump from LFS and go from there.

Cor20's are notorious for bad power supplies as your probably know. Take the pump apart, prolly will find rust/rot and its cracked (trash).
Exactly, it's got a short. Soon as there is enough load on it, it shorts to ground and poofs the outlet.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this may help....replace the gfci receptacle and check the wiring while your at it this is why I don't like gfci's on my reef tanks.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the problem isn't in the power supply? It's in the actual pump itself?
Possibly. If I'm reading it right, the problem is only when the Cor20's is plugged in. Everything else minus the Cor20's is ok when plugged into the gfci? You try running the pump off another outlet?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is two years about the lifespan of these? They aren't cheap pumps...

Depends on care I guess. I have one that has been in service since product launch. I also have 2 Cor 15's with similar run times. One spare that I use for cleaning. Just swap them out as the fittings are the same. Pretty solid pumps. I'm not all hobbyist but I've not seen any rust or damage in any of mine. Even when abused by Strombus Grazer snails getting stuck in the impeller.

To rule out the outlet you could run an extension cord provided you know that the plug is on a different circuit/breaker than the one tripped and plug the pump temporarily into it. Do not leave it like that but you could at least rule out the outlet.

It is Sunday but you could also send Neptune a ticket via their portal and they will respond on Monday. If it is the power supply maybe they can work with you on it. Doesn't hurt to ask.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the problem isn't in the power supply? It's in the actual pump itself?
It definitely could be. You have copper windings in DC motors and cheap copper windings that are too thin can short out. If somehow any moisture gets in, that will definitely do it and the problem will be intermittent until it isn't anymore.

They don't care...it only has to work through the warranty period, and they are willing to deal with the ones that croak before that when they're selling you maybe 80 dollars worth of pump for 400 dollars.

I'm not bashing your pump either...all of these companies do the same crap.
They are all subpar construction...and that's on purpose.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back