GFO 24/7 for SPS?

Ecvernon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gfo can lower alkalinity and ph. Especially in small tanks or if too much is used. The amount that is lowered is not really an issue unless running GFO for the first time or using too much to start.

Waynel333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 300 is heavily SPS dominated and I run GFO and Carbon (3 cups full each) 24x7. I change them out about every 3-4 weeks. I've done it for years and I find that if I don't I notice cyano and other nuisance algae to start creeping in. Here are a couple of tank shots.

Group-1-3.jpg

Group-4.jpg

Downbeach

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than my DSB, and LR, I also use a GAC and bio-pellet reactor. I did have a refugium with chaeto, but took it off line a few years ago when I started the pellets.

Montrosereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every system is different. I suggest not to follow someone because he has a successful tank full of SPS for years. Monitor your corals after you add any media and test your water accordingly. I know there are many SPS reefers like me have abandoned gfo.

gws3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have also run GFO 24/7 successfully with SPS for years. The key for me is moderation. Less than a cup on ~200 gallons. I change it every month approximately. I typically gauge when to change it or add more by the onset of small amounts of nuisance algae. I do remember on one or two occasions when my Alk was slightly high adding a significant amount of GFO had adverse effects on SPS.... paling and polyp recession. Definitely recommend only adding a new batch if parameters are in check.

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also run GFO 24/7 successfully with SPS for years. The key for me is moderation. Less than a cup on ~200 gallons. I change it every month approximately. I typically gauge when to change it or add more by the onset of small amounts of nuisance algae. I do remember on one or two occasions when my Alk was slightly high adding a significant amount of GFO had adverse effects on SPS.... paling and polyp recession. Definitely recommend only adding a new batch if parameters are in check.

I agree, a little goes a long way. I use 2 to 3 tablespoons on a 30 gallon tank. Keeps my phosphates 0 or very close to it

Sent from my VS950 4G using Forum Runner

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 1 cup changed out every month ran 24/7 on a mostly SPS tank

Last edited:

westreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WesF, beautiful tank!
I have been using GFO for a while, 24/7. About 1/2 cup changed every month. Dial the flow just enough to see slight tumbling. My phosphate is around 0.03 ppm to 0.08ppm by Hanna. I have no refuge.

OP
OP
S

sleeri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, some of you run pretty small amounts of GFO. I've got roughly 80-85 gallons of water and I probably run a cup of GFO, which I change monthly. Seems to be fine. Wouldn't the amount you use really depend on stocking level? I've got a mixed reef with lots of fish, so I tend to run a little more GFO.

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, some of you run pretty small amounts of GFO. I've got roughly 80-85 gallons of water and I probably run a cup of GFO, which I change monthly. Seems to be fine. Wouldn't the amount you use really depend on stocking level? I've got a mixed reef with lots of fish, so I tend to run a little more GFO.

That's what I was thinking. I think it depends on feeding too. Since I have a 30 gal with 4 fish I use a pipette to individually feed each fish so the pellets or brine I feed doesn't get a chance to lay in the tank and rot, which I've heard the pellets are high in phosphates. Works for me anyways.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Forum Runner

Back