GFO reactor leaking. Advice?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
54,847
Reaction score
122,425
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just installed the deluxe gfo reactor from BRS and it leaks out of most place where the hose connects to the ball valve, the union, the output from the reactor. If its in the slightest bind it leaks. I am afraid to leave it on. Is it possible I have to much pressure coming out from the pump?

Thanks.
 
Unhook the connection and look on the inside. There's a plastic thing in there, see if it's cracked. Mine did the same thing and BRS sent me a new part.
 
The connection from the pump?
 
Oh and should all the water from the pump be going to the reactor or should some be escaping from the hole in the pump outlet? I have all the water going into the reactor
 
The leaks is from almost every spot! Union, valve, outlet, etc..
 
Replace the fittings with new from the big box home store. You can also purchase the 3/8 inch PEX tubing by the foot to route the way you want it. This type of fitting should be safe up and beyond 200 PSI.
 
If it leaks at EVERY fitting, chances are the tubing is not cut square, or you haven't seated the tubing into the fitting quiet far enough. Don't be scared to apply pressure.
 
If it leaks at EVERY fitting, chances are the tubing is not cut square, or you haven't seated the tubing into the fitting quiet far enough. Don't be scared to apply pressure.

I agree. Cutting the tubing needs to be squared/even with no burrs. It's usually the burrs that catch against the o-rings, which I assume are john guest fittings or alike. Most of the time you can take the hose out and cut them correctly, then reinsert it into the fitting and it should be fine. Those fittings can handle easily 80lbs of water pressure.
 
Also make sure the O ring in the body of the reactor is in place. I dropped mine without realizing it while refilling it and had a leak.
 
I had this problem too Rev, as Eric said, you have to push the tube into the fitting as hard as you can, then pull back out with the same force. Do this a few times and it won't leak.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new