GFO Tumbling Unevenly

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by TheEngineer, Mar 8, 2018.

1. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Delaware Reef Club

I just put 6 tbsp of BRS high capacity GFO (used the calculator on their site) in my TLF Phosban 150 reactor. I'm having trouble tuning it though. To get all of it moving I have to turn it up enough that one side is really flowing fast. Am I missing some trick to get it to evenly distribute?

Tags:

2. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Delaware Reef Club

I have a sponge between the GFO and the red diffuser. Should I take the sponge out?

3. Cjud7982

Cjud7982 Active Member

I could never get my gfo to tumble evenly in my brs premium reactor either. I never did figure it out because I have tore that system down and have yet to set it up on my new system. The one thing that I always wondered was the levelness of the unit. My unit always was tipped slightly so I think that is what caused my issue. to my knowledge if it just gfo then, you shouldn't need any sponges to hold it still. I will have to look up the model of reactor you have to understand what diffuser you are talking about.

TheEngineer likes this.
  4. TheEngineer

I’ve been messing with the level of it too. It seems surprisingly sensitive to that.

5. Waters

Waters "...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall." R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Every reactor I have ever used did the same thing.......I just gave up and let it tumble however it wanted to. I think it has to do with the GFO just being compressed down tighter in some areas.

TheEngineer and vic5hands like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted