GHA and Cyano

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so ive searched through a little bit on the forums, but I figured I would just ask directly.

I have a minor issue with some GHA and now have a lot of cyano on the sand bed and a little on some rock. is there anything specific people have purchased that works well? or should I just put my focus on regular/increasing water changes and making sure my parameters get back to normal? I know they need some fixing.

dKH 10
Calcium 460-480
Phos .25
Nitrate 5

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If things tend to turn bad where cyano is covering and killing your corals, I would use Chemi-clean which specifically targets it. Otherwise I usually just work on bringing down my parameters and it goes away or stays to levels where I'm not too bothered by it.

OP
OP
RyanCSGO

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks. yeah its frustrating when you wake up in the morning and theres hardly anything in the tank. then get home from work and it looks like a totally different tank lol. My first time dealing with Cyano.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks. yeah its frustrating when you wake up in the morning and theres hardly anything in the tank. then get home from work and it looks like a totally different tank lol. My first time dealing with Cyano.
I'm fighting this myself. Adding an algae scrubber this weekend. Thought I'd try the all natural way in fighting.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to target the source. If you don't find the root of the problem, you'll just have the same problem later. Not to say chemi clean and others won't work, but how many times do you want to "fix" the issue? Your parameters aren't that bad IMO, but testing during outbreaks can be deceiving....

OP
OP
RyanCSGO

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to target the source. If you don't find the root of the problem, you'll just have the same problem later. Not to say chemi clean and others won't work, but how many times do you want to "fix" the issue? Your parameters aren't that bad IMO, but testing during outbreaks can be deceiving....
yeah, from what I understand my phos is probably much higher that my readings. what do you mean by finding the source? what would be some possible answers? things like over feeding?

Back