GHA & apitasia(?) in new aquarium, plan of action

icejam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm totally new to the hobby and I believe I have GHA and possibly apitasia.
30 gallon running for two weeks with mature LR. Unfortunately I was away for work for a week and came back today to this [see pictures].
I do not have any living creatures in there yet (except some worms and such, and some palys).
Should I try to nuke everything with meds / chemicals or get some CUC (snails?, shrimps?).??
I would like to get on top of it before it's too late.

Thanks.

FAEFE7AB-280C-481C-AA2D-08F04EA096D0.jpeg

41AD15ED-B972-4598-A384-4AEE5074140A.jpeg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second pic looks more like colonial hydroids. I may be wrong it's hard to see in the picture. As far as the green hair algae, water changes and other means of nutrient export are going to be your friend. I've never been a fan of chemically treating stuff. Yes the chemical kills it but it doesnt take care of the root cause of your issue whether its overfeeding, bad rodi filters, poor water change schedule ect... keep pristine water quality and the green hair algae will die out. As far as the hydroids, they'll die out on their own as well :)

OP
OP
I

icejam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the picture isn't the best but it's really small - 0.2in maybe.
I did 20% water change today.
Tested all the parameters before that - phosphate was <0.2 (it's hard for me to see the difference between 0.0 and 0.2 colors).
pH a little low 7.8 other than that all in order.
I think that the tank has cycled already - any CUC recommendations ?
I poked apitasia / hydroids, it seemed hard and stiff to the touch and retracted little 'tentacles'.

Thanks.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the picture isn't the best but it's really small - 0.2in maybe.
I did 20% water change today.
Tested all the parameters before that - phosphate was <0.2 (it's hard for me to see the difference between 0.0 and 0.2 colors).
pH a little low 7.8 other than that all in order.
I think that the tank has cycled already - any CUC recommendations ?
I poked apitasia / hydroids, it seemed hard and stiff to the touch and retracted little 'tentacles'.

Thanks.
Part of the problem with algae issues, is that your parameters are always going to test awesome, despite having a tank riddled with algae, reason being is the algae consumes the nutrients before they can become free floating in the water where you grab them from to test for. So a tank that is covered head to toe in GHA almost always tests little to no nitrate and phosphate. Like I said the hydroids are quite common and tend to die out on their own :) as far as clean up crew I would look into cleaner packages offered by liveaquaria or reefcleaners.org I've used both with great success :)

OP
OP
I

icejam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately here in Canada nobody sells cleaner packages and all the critters are 3x more expensive so I am trying to buy absolute minimum that is required.
Thanks for all the advice

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back