Transplanting Frags with GHA

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a older 20G Nano that has some serious GHA issues (Coral + CuC only). I've setup a new tank, moved all my fish over successfully.

Some of my frag plugs have a pretty load of GHA on them. I have been pulling it out, to keep the corals healthy - however there is obviously reminants of it, and regrows over time. My concern is that when I move these frags over, its going to start wreaking havoc on the tank. Is this a legitimate concern? I am also not nieve enough to thnk that I will never have GHA in the new tank at some point - and I do have more utilitarian fish and a stronger CUC that will help manage it.

I can take one more crack at manually removing all of the GHA - which shouldn't take too much time, and then do a course of FluxRX to just nuke everything before I try to move Coral over. Not a fan of this method, but its an option maybe?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove as much as you can manually then soak the plug in a dish with pure h202 for a couple minutes it will kill the rest off! Try not to soak the frag thou lol.. rinse it off in a cup of tank water and move it over.

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove as much as you can manually then soak the plug in a dish with pure h202 for a couple minutes it will kill the rest off! Try not to soak the frag thou lol.. rinse it off in a cup of tank water and move it over.

If i try and just soak the plug, the coral will be exposed to air. Is it ok to keep the tissue exposed for 2-5 minutes?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i try and just soak the plug, the coral will be exposed to air. Is it ok to keep the tissue exposed for 2-5 minutes?
It will be perfectly fine! I’ve had sps out of the water for 7 hours when I just upgraded tanks.. it was all encrusted to the rocks and I expected it to die and nope! Took off like a champ after a couple weeks in new water lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back