GHA + Cyano OR Lyngbya?

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi -

Fighting this Algae issue. I was convinced this was GHA + Cyano growing on top of it. Then I read about Lynbya (which is a strain of Cyano). Any idea on how to identify?

Treatment wise, I have been mechanically removing it like crazy (siphoning) + Micro CLEAN/Razor/7 following bottle instructions. What i thought was GHA seems to have slowed , but stuff still seems to grow back - albeit at a slower pace. The the red/pink Cyano replicates quickly. I am wondering if this is all just Lyngya.

I have been doing mechanical remove EOD. I am going to do a clean-up tonight and then give the tank a dose of Chemiclean. And if needed, follow-up in 72 hours with a second dose.

All the Coral (not much), have been smothered out from whatever is growing in here. I do have some fish and invertebrates that I don't want to accidentally harm.

Tank is 1.5 years old. First 12 months were smooth and almost no Algea. Last 6 months have been tough with the eventual defeat of my Corals.

IMG-2579.jpg IMG-2578.jpg IMG-2577.jpg

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lynbya! Don't let the CUC cult talk you into wasting your money. Turkey baster and a power filter will be your best friend!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back