GHA / Debersia ID

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to pull, nothing eats it, taking over tank, thinking Debersia. Can anyone confirm?

I had some GHA and Bryopsis maybe 8 months ago and used Flux RX to knock it out. Dinos followed. Just got over that about a month ago after trying everything, giving up, and dosing dino-x. I dosed PO4/NO3 daily to maintain .03-.05 PO4. When I started seeing GHA showing up I thought I was winning - nope. I lost a lot of corals during dinos and those that survived are not being smothered with this algae.

Trying to get a positive ID to fight it.
PO4: .07-.08
NO3: 10-12
CA: 440
MG: 1500
DKH: 9.1

PO4 was up around .2 after dinos, been bringing that down slowly with weekly water changes and chemipure elite. I'm bad at pictures but I was trying to show it growing torch heads
tempImageEWQe3m.jpg
tempImageeqZC9A.jpg
tempImagezxLW3K.jpg
tempImageFIgHIC.jpg

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to know what this is as well because I have the same exact stuff in my tank. I have thrown everything i know at it. fluconazole, gfo, new ro membranes, less feeding, phyto, mb7, tim's, ICP tests, etc. Hell i even fell for the default advice from everyone and bought 100's of dollars in CUS's and fish only to watch them ignore it. PLEASE DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON CUC'S YOUR ONLY KILLING THEM IN THE LONG RUN.

OP
OP
A

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to know what this is as well because I have the same exact stuff in my tank. I have thrown everything i know at it. fluconazole, gfo, new ro membranes, less feeding, phyto, mb7, tim's, ICP tests, etc. Hell i even fell for the default advice from everyone and bought 100's of dollars in CUS's and fish only to watch them ignore it. PLEASE DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON CUC'S YOUR ONLY KILLING THEM IN THE LONG RUN.
How long did you leave the flucanazole in for? My last go round with it, it killed bryopsis pretty quick but GHA took 3 - 4 weeks.

I have two main rock structures in my tank that are glued together and cant be pulled.. All other rocks have been pulled and scrubbed in saltwater with hydrogen peroxide.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looks like GHA to me. Get a diverse cleaner crew with urchins and turbos. Cut lights to 6 hours with blue and uv only no whites. Lots of manual removal. Keep magnesium 1500 to 1600 it weakens GHA and let's cleaners attack it. Stop dumping chemicals in to bandaid a problem and open the door for other problems. Focus on stable parameters and realize that these ugly stages need time to correct as in months occasionally.

OP
OP
A

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looks like GHA to me. Get a diverse cleaner crew with urchins and turbos. Cut lights to 6 hours with blue and uv only no whites. Lots of manual removal. Keep magnesium 1500 to 1600 it weakens GHA and let's cleaners attack it. Stop dumping chemicals in to bandaid a problem and open the door for other problems. Focus on stable parameters and realize that these ugly stages need time to correct as in months occasionally.
Nothing eats it. Not even when it's short. I already have 4 big turbos in the tank. They've eliminated GHA algae numerous times for me in other systems, but either they dont touch it or there's too much to make a dent. I dont have an urchin and I really dont want one carrying around coral unless I have no other option.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing eats it. Not even when it's short. I already have 4 big turbos in the tank. They've eliminated GHA algae numerous times for me in other systems, but either they dont touch it or there's too much to make a dent. I dont have an urchin and I really dont want one carrying around coral unless I have no other option.
They don't carry coral like you think. They grab an empty snail shell here and there. I probably have 50 corals in my tank and 3 tuxedo urchins cause no issues but I had a GHA jungle and they wiped it out.

Edgecrusher28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to pull, nothing eats it, taking over tank, thinking Debersia. Can anyone confirm?

I had some GHA and Bryopsis maybe 8 months ago and used Flux RX to knock it out. Dinos followed. Just got over that about a month ago after trying everything, giving up, and dosing dino-x. I dosed PO4/NO3 daily to maintain .03-.05 PO4. When I started seeing GHA showing up I thought I was winning - nope. I lost a lot of corals during dinos and those that survived are not being smothered with this algae.

Trying to get a positive ID to fight it.
PO4: .07-.08
NO3: 10-12
CA: 440
MG: 1500
DKH: 9.1

PO4 was up around .2 after dinos, been bringing that down slowly with weekly water changes and chemipure elite. I'm bad at pictures but I was trying to show it growing torch heads
tempImageEWQe3m.jpg
tempImageeqZC9A.jpg
tempImagezxLW3K.jpg
tempImageFIgHIC.jpg
Any update on what you found dealing with this crap? I have the same junk in my tank and this algae should be considered plague level. I would take Dino's 5 times over before having to deal with this stuff again.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back