GHA in Refugium/Sump

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,

The last few months I've been dealing with GHA in my sump, mainly in my refugium... I mean it's definitely better than in my Display, but its a hassle to clean and it seems to be starving out my Chaeto. I added some Turbo snails to the sump but hasn't really made a big dent yet. Appreciate if anyone has some advice for this?

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slightly different situation here as I'm not trying to grow cheato in the sump. I'm not running a fuge but I was keeping frags in mtr sump, there was always a mad of GHA and some of the frags got taken over and cleaning out of was a pitta.

I recently moved the tank a few feet which gave me a chance to clean out the sump. Since putting it back together I've not seen a bit of GHA yet, been about 6 weeks now. the only thing I changed was reduce the intensity of the LED whits and blues from 80% to around 50%B/10%W.

So possibly if you remove every last bit of May give the cheato the head start it needs of your havnt done this already.
Hope this may be of some help.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slightly different situation here as I'm not trying to grow cheato in the sump. I'm not running a fuge but I was keeping frags in mtr sump, there was always a mad of GHA and some of the frags got taken over and cleaning out of was a pitta.

I recently moved the tank a few feet which gave me a chance to clean out the sump. Since putting it back together I've not seen a bit of GHA yet, been about 6 weeks now. the only thing I changed was reduce the intensity of the LED whits and blues from 80% to around 50%B/10%W.

So possibly if you remove every last bit of May give the cheato the head start it needs of your havnt done this already.
Hope this may be of some help.

Its just growing so fast, that even when I do remove it, its back within a few days. I was thinking about doing a sump blackout but am worried about the Chaeto dying.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its more the fact thats its growing on the pumps and so forth. And begins to get all in my Chaeto.
I have gha in my chaeto too, it is the 1st to go every other week when we have to remove chaeto. No equipment in my refugium.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gha in my chaeto too, it is the 1st to go every other week when we have to remove chaeto. No equipment in my refugium.

I know part of the problem is my Fuge light does flood into other chambers. Its just getting pretty bad. I put Turbo snails in there but didnt seem to help much.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know part of the problem is my Fuge light does flood into other chambers. Its just getting pretty bad. I put Turbo snails in there but didnt seem to help much.
I have my light within 3 inches of the chaeto to maximize par and minimize spillage; it is an led array 1 foot square.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Pistondog that the gha is not a problem. Keep pulling it out and it'll keep removing nutrients just like chaeto (possibly more effective than chaeto but don't quote me on that one). But it does sound like you need to do something to block the light from getting into your other sump compartments

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Osunby LED Grow Light, 150W Dimmable Growing Lamp 289 LEDs with Red Blue Spectrum for Hydroponic Indoor Plants Seedling, Vegetative and Flowering

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Osunby LED Grow Light, 150W Dimmable Growing Lamp 289 LEDs with Red Blue Spectrum for Hydroponic Indoor Plants Seedling, Vegetative and Flowering

That one looks good, here is what I use
Screenshot_20201130-215613.png

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this same problem and was going to post about it also.

Today I thoroughly cleaned out My sump and added a large pump to get the chaeto spinning around, as the current through my sump was weak. Hopefully this works. I have a fairly powerful horticulture light so that’s not the issue.

As for those that suggested it doesn’t matter and to just pull it out as export that is not necessarily true.. the hair algae greatly impedes the growth and therefore surface area of the chaeto and prevents a sufficient amount of algae/chaeto to compete with the display.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back