GHA on sand after vacation

Dweezilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I left my 1 year old tank for a week while I was on vacation with auto feeders and a buddy stopped by to feed 1/4 cube of mysis 3 times in 8 days. I'm guessing I way over fed. I had a tiny bit of GHA on the sand and some diatoms before I left, from my adventures with SCA dinos which are 99% gone. No GHA on the rocks. I came back yesterday after 8 days away and all the fish and inverts are happy but, my sand is covered in what appears to be GHA and diatoms mixed in. I've not tested my NO3 or PO4 since I got back last night but I'd guess they are fairly high (they were 12.5 and .18 when I left).

Question is how can I remove it? It clumps up if I try to siphon it from the sand so I can't really remove it manually without removing a bunch of sand too (plus it's too heavy to go up the siphon). I don't have corals so what would be the best way to get rid of it? Could I bury it under the sand and turn the lights off for a few days? I have a conch, coral beauty, trochus snails, blue leg crabs but none seem to be interested in it. I was thinking of getting a tuxedo urchin.

20230731_165941.jpg 20230731_170725.jpg 20230731_170658.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 95 44.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back