Cyano Outbreak, while on Vacation?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went on a nine day vacation. Four days before I did a through cleaning. Three days before leaving a 20% water change. Changed filter socks out the morning we left. 120 was just on its regular scheduled auto feeder, no change to this schedule. The Fish, didn't get their almost daily frozen food. Also no ReefRoids. ATO was on, and salinity was fine on returning. Filter Socks were overflowing, mostly from the Cyano. Changed filter socks out, and did another 20% water change. Today will be the final day for ChemiClean treatment. Just wondering what went haywire?

OP
OP
S

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO/DI at a TDS of 1, my Usual Reef Crystals, slowly added to assure mixing. The mixing brute shows no signs of Cyano. Aquarium was filled and started on 6-27-2022. With mixed media sand bed, dry rock. Was seeded with water, gravel and live rock from a well established 65 gallon aquarium. Also the Ruby Sump/Refuge, was already up and running on the 65 Gallon for at least a year. Lighting hasn’t changed in months. I did add a Rescued Mandarin, a couple weeks before. All fish are fine. I don’t do much testing, found I was just chasing parameters back and forth. I do monitor pH with a probe.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 36 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back