Cyano bloom, 3yr old tank

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm in the middle of a cyano bloom, it's getting worse daily. It started after I did a water change and the following week I cleaned out the sump. I did a water change 3 weeks ago, went well. Nitrates went from 15 to 10. I then cleaned the sump and nitrates have dropped like crazy and the cyano is building fast. Last week nitrates were at 7, cool. This week 2.9. I dosed back up to 10ppm with some sodium nitrates. Corals overall seem happy but today the cyano really took over. Besides 'wait it out', I was considering doing a chemiclean treatment in a week or so along w another water change. Is it fairly common to get cyano in an established tank? It's pretty bad. Like uglies bad lol.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the middle of a cyano bloom, it's getting worse daily. It started after I did a water change and the following week I cleaned out the sump. I did a water change 3 weeks ago, went well. Nitrates went from 15 to 10. I then cleaned the sump and nitrates have dropped like crazy and the cyano is building fast. Last week nitrates were at 7, cool. This week 2.9. I dosed back up to 10ppm with some sodium nitrates. Corals overall seem happy but today the cyano really took over. Besides 'wait it out', I was considering doing a chemiclean treatment in a week or so along w another water change. Is it fairly common to get cyano in an established tank? It's pretty bad. Like uglies bad lol.
I would say cyanobacteria in older tanks is not common, but the chances of a bloom are never zero.

I doubt that a water change will do much, sucking up the slime as often as possible is a step above waiting it out. Be disruptive to the mats as often as possible. Chemiclean can help. Many aquarists swear by it. A few swear at it because it seems to have hurt or killed something in the aquarium.

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on this ? I also seem to be having an issue and was thinking about using chemiclean

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back