GHA - Why not?

Eatfrenchfries

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because it can grow on coral skeleton and be somewhat hard to remove. I personally like green hair algae and if it's in my tanks I don't target it. Just let it do its thing. If you know where your nutrients are going then there's no need to worry.

Green hair algae would be an excellent refugium choice. There might be some convenience issues in handling since it'll get everywhere.

My mollies, guppies, and gsp like to eat it too as an added bonus.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious, why do people choose to grow chaeto over GHA? Don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone keeping GHA in their refugium and wondering why.
I have made this argument several times!

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious, why do people choose to grow chaeto over GHA? Don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone keeping GHA in their refugium and wondering why.
I think the biggest issues is that it just spreads so easily. I'm just now getting over the GHA hurdle in my DT. the GHA covered all the macro in my refugium. So you could say I have a GHA refugium.

On a side note, isn't that exactly what algae scrubbers do? Grow turf/hair algae?

OP
OP
GarrettT

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have green and red turf algae, Mexican caulerpa, red garcilaria, and GHA in my display tank. None of them really get out of hand or dominate the other. When I dose silicate, my turf algae will quickly outcompete the other algaes, but that is the only time and something that I can easily control. I haven’t noticed any difference otherwise. I’d imagine once you get a good amount of GHA going in a refugium, much of the growth would be taking place in there and not the display. I mean majority of us already have a good amount of it in our overflow boxes right?

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae turf scrubbers take advantage of exactly what you are saying. Because GHA grows so fast, it can remove nutrients quickly. I never worried about gha myself, I had a pretty big refugium with mostly prolifera. There would be spots here and there with gha in the tank or more often in the fuge and the pods just loved it. I mean, they really loved it. More than anything else I had in my tank in fact.

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After GHA kept growing over my Chaeto I came up with this. Marinepure blocks are elevated on light diffuser/eggcrate with coarse mesh over it. Flow is from the lower left under and over blocks. GHA grows on mesh which is easily removed and power washed. Thoughts on this? Should I even try to keep the Chaeto in there or pitch it?

Attachments

• 86F60795-F46D-4916-940A-BF294575854C.jpeg
    86F60795-F46D-4916-940A-BF294575854C.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 614DB2B4-2B48-4979-8CAC-815F472807A8.jpeg
    614DB2B4-2B48-4979-8CAC-815F472807A8.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 42

xiongsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After GHA kept growing over my Chaeto I came up with this. Marinepure blocks are elevated on light diffuser/eggcrate with coarse mesh over it. Flow is from the lower left under and over blocks. GHA grows on mesh which is easily removed and power washed. Thoughts on this? Should I even try to keep the Chaeto in there or pitch it?
That is such a great idea! Why can't I place a screen mesh (rolled) into my reactor wrapped with red/blue grow lights and have the GHA grow there instead. And, I don't see why it has to be a scrubber when I've already purchased a reactor. Thoughts?

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing for me is a big part of the refugium is actually removing the growth as it grows in. Chaeto is vastly easier to remove and wash to keep free of detritus than gha. Also as others have mentioned chaeto is like 1 giant pod hotel

xiongsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae turf scrubbers take advantage of exactly what you are saying. Because GHA grows so fast, it can remove nutrients quickly. I never worried about gha myself, I had a pretty big refugium with mostly prolifera. There would be spots here and there with gha in the tank or more often in the fuge and the pods just loved it. I mean, they really loved it. More than anything else I had in my tank in fact.
Your pods loved it because they consume the gha?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is such a great idea! Why can't I place a screen mesh (rolled) into my reactor wrapped with red/blue grow lights and have the GHA grow there instead. And, I don't see why it has to be a scrubber when I've already purchased a reactor. Thoughts?
Google "algae reactor" ;)

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing for me is a big part of the refugium is actually removing the growth as it grows in. Chaeto is vastly easier to remove and wash to keep free of detritus than gha. Also as others have mentioned chaeto is like 1 giant pod hotel
My issue thus far has been the GHA vastly outperforming the chaeto. Would be great if chaeto was growing but it's pretty much dormant at this point and getting covered with GHA. So I'm thinking at least for the time being to take advantage of it. I found it easy to remove from the mesh with a power sprayer.

xiongsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My issue thus far has been the GHA vastly outperforming the chaeto. Would be great if chaeto was growing but it's pretty much dormant at this point and getting covered with GHA. So I'm thinking at least for the time being to take advantage of it. I found it easy to remove from the mesh with a power sprayer.
Does your chaeto get 24 hrs lights to give it a chance to pull nutrients while the DT light is off?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get green hair algae on my powerhead grates. Its from high flow.
I also get red turf that comes and goes.
My tanks cleanup crew keep in tank algae at bay.
I prefer red macro algae in my sump. I can remove it and feed the tangs.
Cheato is great if you have it in a seperate contained area.
Quick cell pic.
20230217_151043.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back