Reef Flux treatment success but

i0nz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I began a Fluconazole treatment three weeks ago with it ending this coming Sunday. It’s done wonders for my GHA yet I’m somewhat confused as to why my phosphates are testing 0 this far into the treatment. I removed all chemical filtration media, no UV, kept skimmer off for 3 full days. Just using filter floss in my media basket along with a 5 micron sediment filter in a reactor. Also paused carbon dosing prior to the treatment in addition.

I was under the impression that the dying GHA releases detectable PO4 levels once the treatment kicks in. My phosphate was already near undetectable prior which I can assume was due to the mass algae consumption. Yet it’s now 85% gone and my phosphate is testing 0.

I’m somewhat concerned to perform the 30% wc and have everything bottom out. Anybody know why my PO4 would undetectable?

Last edited:

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ROck and substrate will take up a lot of phosphate from the water. If you are concerned about low po4, maybe feed some reef roids.
I used fluconazole for the gha, and did not notice a po4 spike.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I began a Fluconazole treatment three weeks ago with it ending this coming Sunday. It’s done wonders for my GHA yet I’m somewhat confused as to why my phosphates are testing 0 this far into the treatment. I removed all chemical filtration media, no UV, kept skimmer off for 3 full days. Just using filter floss in my media basket along with a 5 micron sediment filter in a reactor. Also paused carbon dosing prior to the treatment in addition.

I was under the impression that the dying GHA releases detectable PO4 levels once the treatment kicks in. My phosphate was already near undetectable prior which I can assume was due to the mass algae consumption. Yet it’s now 85% gone and my phosphate is testing 0.

I’m somewhat concerned to perform the 30% wc and have everything bottom out. Anybody know why my PO4 would undetectable?
Did you do the full dose, micro dose or somewhere in between?

Full dose, change some water and feed higher or reef roids as said.
Micro dose, ditch the water change and feed.

OP
OP
i0nz

i0nz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for your responses. I will attempt to see if I can get my phosphates up with Reef Roids. I was really confused about this as I was under the impression that my nutrients would rise during the treatment but they’re still dangerously low upon testing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back