Reef Flux Fluconazole results

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know a lot of people have had some conflicting results using Reef Flux, but I just wanted to share my personal results.

TL;DR - wiped out my Bryopsis in like 3 days. No issues with any other coral, fish, or inverts. Mixed reef with several acros (some very high end) and high end torches. Also my BTA is fine too

I have been battling bryopsis and some GHA for quite some time. I have a tang and 2 urchins but no luck at knocking it back. I would do manual removal but it would come back instantly and my nutrients were bottomed out because the algae would just eat it all up. My corals were suffering a bit from it and obviously even dosing nitrate (neonitro) was just further fueling my issue and my coral was not getting the nutrients they needed.

Decided to use reef flux (according to instructions on the bottle 1 pill/10gals). I disregarded the water volume displaced by rocks and just used the total empty water volume so it was slightlyyyyy over dosed.

Day: 0
IMG_6467.jpeg

Day: 2 (very blue, not sure where my lens filter is lol)

IMG_6469.jpeg

IMG_6468.jpeg

Day 3: Most bryopsis is already white

IMG_0003.jpeg

image.jpg

And that’s it so far! Clearing up great and will keep monitoring.

Just wanted to share some progress and for me and my tank it seems to be working well so far, so happy with the results! Now time to address my overfeeding so it doesn’t return

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had used reef Flux for bubble algea and had great results as well. Acros, bta, plenty of lps and softies. Flame fin and some damsels of sorts. Had no issues and it took about 4 weeks for it to disappear but worked magickly. But that was 3x the dose that the bottle said. Nothing bad happened, all my stock survived with no repercussions and all the bubbles gone. Glad to know there's another thing that reef Flux can clean up.

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debating on trying this but Im just super reluctant to does chemicals. I dosed something similar before and lost a monti and another coral.

However I might need to...Have bryopsis, bubble algae, gha, and some other annoying macro that attached to the rock that hitchhiked in. I've been just going in with a toothbrush every week or two giving everything a good scrub but it's only a temporary fix.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used reef flux for hair.
Under dosed, for longer time frame. Gone in about 3 weeks. Water change. I did shut off skimmer/awc.
Under dosed meaning only 2/3 recommended dose. Took out cheato.
Came back in a couple tuffs here and there, micro dosed, left skimmer on and awc on. 2 weeks later Micro dosed again. Gone and not seen in the past 2 months.
Micro dose meaning 10% of recommended dose. Also left cheato in.

mikerosi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used reef flux for hair.
Under dosed, for longer time frame. Gone in about 3 weeks. Water change. I did shut off skimmer/awc.
Under dosed meaning only 2/3 recommended dose. Took out cheato.
Came back in a couple tuffs here and there, micro dosed, left skimmer on and awc on. 2 weeks later Micro dosed again. Gone and not seen in the past 2 months.
Micro dose meaning 10% of recommended dose. Also left cheato in.
What time frame are you micro dosing? Once every two weeks once every three weeks?? Thank you.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What time frame are you micro dosing? Once every two weeks once every three weeks?? Thank you.
Micro dosed the first time after I saw some hair growing in same old spots which was about 3 months after the big dose. Then micro dosed the second time 2 weeks after.

To be clear, I micro dosed the second time because I left my skimmer on and the awc. I knew they would take some fluconazole out and I knew fluconazole takes about 3 weeks to work for GHA.

mikerosi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micro dosed the first time after I saw some hair growing in same old spots which was about 3 months after the big dose. Then micro dosed the second time 2 weeks after.

To be clear, I micro dosed the second time because I left my skimmer on and the awc. I knew they would take some fluconazole out and I knew fluconazole takes about 3 weeks to work for GHA.
Thank you for the information one last question how long do you leave the skimmer off when you dose for that length of time is it still three days?

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed for bryopsis in two different tanks. In a 2 year old tank it killed all the algae but also nuked the biological stability and I was treated to a several month battle with cyano and dinos that I only finally addressed by breaking the tank down.

However with that information under my belt, I used a lighter dose for a longer period of time on a different tank infested accidentally with frags from the first, and I experienced no trouble. I tried to bolster the biological stability with some light addition of bottled bacteria throughout. I can't say which part ended up being the one that ended with success and no negative side effects.

I can't really give specifics, but just be careful and aware of the possible risks. Good luck!

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%

Back