GHA

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be cautious. You do not want to tank all of your nutrient levels while combatting algae and swing the door wide open for dinos. GFO can decimate your phosphate levels if you dont watch and Dinos love that.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae needs more than just phosphates to grow. In fact, they need: Light, phosphate, nitrate, trace elements, space, and a lack of herbivores to grow. If even one of these is not there for algae, they will be limited and not grow.

Kind of like making a cake that needs eggs and flour. I can give you 1,000 eggs but if you don’t have any flour you can’t make the cake. The recipe will be limited by the flour. This is the same with algae. So the mere presence of algae means you have enough of everything.

Another misconception is not understanding how much phosphate will limit algae. At around 0.03ppm you will start seeing algae become limited. Having 0.10ppm phosphates won’t limit algae any more than having phosphates at 2.0ppm.

If you are growing corals, you are providing the perfect opportunity for algae to flourish. How do you think natural reefs don’t have algae everywhere? Herbivores.

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae needs more than just phosphates to grow. In fact, they need: Light, phosphate, nitrate, trace elements, space, and a lack of herbivores to grow. If even one of these is not there for algae, they will be limited and not grow.

Kind of like making a cake that needs eggs and flour. I can give you 1,000 eggs but if you don’t have any flour you can’t make the cake. The recipe will be limited by the flour. This is the same with algae. So the mere presence of algae means you have enough of everything.

Another misconception is not understanding how much phosphate will limit algae. At around 0.03ppm you will start seeing algae become limited. Having 0.10ppm phosphates won’t limit algae any more than having phosphates at 2.0ppm.

If you are growing corals, you are providing the perfect opportunity for algae to flourish. How do you think natural reefs don’t have algae everywhere? Herbivores.
wow well said!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back