GHL ION Director real world feedback

Hello: In four months of use, I've already replaced two Ion Director probes and I think today will be the third. I have a lot of GHL and MR equipment; everything else seems very functional, but the Ion Director is unfortunately awful. I wish it would work without problems, but it's a constant headache. I really hope they can fix it because I think they're using misleading advertising. They have the wrong installation manual depending on the version you have. They're a disaster with all of this.
 
Hola: En los cuatro meses que llevo con UAO, ya he reemplazado dos sondas Ion Director, y creo que hoy será la tercera. Tengo muchos equipos GHL y de RM; todo lo demás parece funcionar muy bien, pero el Ion Director, por desgracia, es pésimo. Ojalá funcionara sin problemas, pero es un dolor de cabeza constante. Espero de verdad que puedan arreglarlo, porque creo que están usando publicidad engañosa. Tienen el manual de instalación equivocado según la versión que tengas. Son un desastre con todo esto.
Gracias para informacion.
 
Hello: In four months of use, I've already replaced two Ion Director probes and I think today will be the third. I have a lot of GHL and MR equipment; everything else seems very functional, but the Ion Director is unfortunately awful. I wish it would work without problems, but it's a constant headache. I really hope they can fix it because I think they're using misleading advertising. They have the wrong installation manual depending on the version you have. They're a disaster with all of this.

What is your testing frequency (daily, weekly, schedule)?
You mentioned 2 replaced in 4 months, why? Defective, fall off, other?
 
I have had the ION for quite some time now. It is quite accurate but there are 2 issues I have with it. The consumables for the A and B are $60. With 1 test a day, you go through it in ~40 days. This is insane in my opinion and I am thinking of taking it offline because of this.

Also, you have to make sure you have a spot where there are no bubbles for the water feed. If you do, you kill the sensor quickly. I went through 3 sensors pretty quickly because of this.

Now, 10 minutes before my daily test I shut my skimmer for 1 hour and let the tests run. They take about 50 minutes. Since doing this and making sure the water fed to the ION is in a 100% bubble free area the sensor has lasted a while now.

Other tips, make sure the tubes are as short as can be for the A, B and tank water feed.
Also, get the test sample bottle so you know it is working correctly. This helped a lot and you can tweak your actual tank results with it.

All of this is in the directions but I missed the part about the bubbles and it was an expensive mistake.
 
I have had the ION for quite some time now. It is quite accurate but there are 2 issues I have with it. The consumables for the A and B are $60. With 1 test a day, you go through it in ~40 days. This is insane in my opinion and I am thinking of taking it offline because of this.

That is roughly 550 USD with rounding. How much is the probe and what is the replacement frequency in your experience of use?

To put this into perspective a bit:

Neptune Trident ACM is 110 USD for 6 month reagent set. 2 x 110 = 220 USD
Neptune Trident NP is 60 USD for 2 month kit. 6 x 60 = 360 USD
Trident ACM 220 + Trident NP 360 = 580 USD

This gives you Alk, Ca, Mg testing daily at 4 (alk), 2 (ca), 2 (mg), 1 (nitrate), 1 (phosphate). Neptune has yet to release a 6 month NP reagent kit sadly. It would lower the daily cost.

Of course this does not factor in the price of the automated kit or the required controller but does give an idea of yearly operating cost for reagents when using Neptune reagents.
 
The probe is $82.90 to replace. Now that I got rid of all the bubbles during the test, the sensor has been much more reliable. I am going on close to 7 months on the same sensor and it still reads over 90% on each test.

You also need the multi reference solution @$31.90 to get a baseline so you can adjust the tests of your actual tank water.

I did not realize the reagents for Neptune were as expensive. I switched to GHL years ago.
 
The probe is $82.90 to replace. Now that I got rid of all the bubbles during the test, the sensor has been much more reliable. I am going on close to 7 months on the same sensor and it still reads over 90% on each test.

You also need the multi reference solution @$31.90 to get a baseline so you can adjust the tests of your actual tank water.

I did not realize the reagents for Neptune were as expensive. I switched to GHL years ago.
Thank you for your thorough response. I appreciate it and it was very helpful.
 
¿Cuál es su frecuencia de pruebas (diaria, semanal, programada)?
Mencionaste que me reemplazaron dos en 4 meses, ¿por qué? ¿Defectuoso, se cayó, o algo así?
Primero realizo una prueba, después de 24 horas calibro la sonda y 48 horas después realizo otra calibración. Tomo una medición al día; con una medición diaria, los reactivos duran 22 días... así que es mejor no medirse muchas veces al día si se quiere comer ;)
 
The solution to ensure that the ION DIRECTOR performs the test correctly is the following:
During the test, the water must be completely still, with no bubbles at all. Under these conditions, the measurements are performed perfectly.
What I do is pump aquarium water into a container some time before the test, so the water can settle and become completely calm. This way, the test works 100%.
 
The solution to ensure that the ION DIRECTOR performs the test correctly is the following:
During the test, the water must be completely still, with no bubbles at all. Under these conditions, the measurements are performed perfectly.
What I do is pump aquarium water into a container some time before the test, so the water can settle and become completely calm. This way, the test works 100%.
This is actually a really good idea. I think I am going to try it. I have an extra doser head.
 
Good morning everyone, I have the complete GHL system, KH Director, and Ion Director.

There's not much to say about the KH Director; once it's calibrated properly, it keeps the values stable. However, I'm more interested in stability than precise values, so if I don't see any major variations, I'm happy.

The Ion Director is a different story.
The values I get with the Ion Director are different from those I get with Hanna.

After installing the probe, I always test the GHL calibration liquid and adjust the values to match those of the calibration liquid.

I do a daily Ion Director test in the tank, and the values are stable.

So, for example, for calcium:
Ion Director measures 420 on the reference liquid (correct)
Ion Director measures 430 in the tank (plausible)
Hanna HI758 measures 435 on the reference liquid (plausible if we calculate that it can have a 5% error)
Hanna HI758 measures 503 in the tank (very strange)

Magnesium example:
Ion director measures 1300 on reference liquid (correct)
Ion director measures 1278 in tank (plausible)
Hanna HI783 measures 1440 on reference liquid (strange, even if we calculate that it may have a 5% error)
Hanna HI783 measures in the tank: 1425 (very strange)

However, in this case we have a delta of approx. 20 ppm. So I would say that the measurement is stable

Example no. 3:
Ion director measures 11 on reference liquid (correct)
Ion director measurement in tank 9 (seems a little high to me)
Hanna HI782 measurement on Standard Cuvettes 10 (correct)
Hanna HI782 measurement in tank: 3 (plausible)


Now, I have all the baling dosages in adaptive mode according to the Kh director and Ion director measurements.

Kh nominal value = 7 -> measurement in tank 7.3
Ca nominal value = 420 -> measurement in tank 430
mg nominal value = 1300 -> measurement in tank 1278
no3 nominal value = 7 -> measurement in tank 9

Considering that the tests were carried out within an hour, I wonder if it makes sense to compare them with an ICP, as it usually takes four days between water sampling and results.

In conclusion, given that the daily measurements are similar and differ by a few ppm, the variations that Ion and Kh director give to the dosing pumps are correct for keeping the values stable.

However, I have many doubts about the accuracy of the actual data measurement.
 
The Ion Director is a different story.
The values I get with the Ion Director are different from those I get with Hanna.
On the ION TIPs page, they specifically say to not compare against 3rd party tests.

https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/knowledge-base/ion-director-tips-maintenance-and-troubleshooting/

— IOND results vs. traditional test kits​

To top
Due to the significant differences in testing technology and measurement processes, the IOND is in a class of its own. For this reason, we do not recommend using these conventional kits as a baseline for confirming the accuracy of your ION Director.

WHY?
Our research and observations show that traditional testing methods do not offer a degree of repeatability when compared to the IOND. For example, many of these kinds of kits provide a repeatability of 5% under real conditions. Seeing an actual tolerance of 10% or more with these kits are also not uncommon.

When one considers the measurement processes of the IOND, it becomes easier to see and understand that the IOND is much more consistent in the way it measures your water. Compared to the IOND, regular test kits are prone to variables such as:

  • Fingerprints on the measurement vial
  • Dust and solids in sample and/or measurement vial
  • Varying perception of ending-color result
  • Varying perception of mL amount in syringe
  • Age of reagent liquid or powder
  • And more…
Factors like these are product and user dependent. These are also factors which DO NOT affect the ION Director’s ability to accurately measure your water; provided pump heads are accurately calibrated, instructions are followed, and device is properly maintained.
 
On the ION TIPs page, they specifically say to not compare against 3rd party tests.

https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/knowledge-base/ion-director-tips-maintenance-and-troubleshooting/

— IOND results vs. traditional test kits​

To top
Due to the significant differences in testing technology and measurement processes, the IOND is in a class of its own. For this reason, we do not recommend using these conventional kits as a baseline for confirming the accuracy of your ION Director.

WHY?
Our research and observations show that traditional testing methods do not offer a degree of repeatability when compared to the IOND. For example, many of these kinds of kits provide a repeatability of 5% under real conditions. Seeing an actual tolerance of 10% or more with these kits are also not uncommon.

When one considers the measurement processes of the IOND, it becomes easier to see and understand that the IOND is much more consistent in the way it measures your water. Compared to the IOND, regular test kits are prone to variables such as:

  • Fingerprints on the measurement vial
  • Dust and solids in sample and/or measurement vial
  • Varying perception of ending-color result
  • Varying perception of mL amount in syringe
  • Age of reagent liquid or powder
  • And more…
Factors like these are product and user dependent. These are also factors which DO NOT affect the ION Director’s ability to accurately measure your water; provided pump heads are accurately calibrated, instructions are followed, and device is properly maintained.


That's right, and the same applies to IPC tests.

However, while we have a high tolerance for calcium and magnesium (I don't think it makes much difference if I keep the calcium at 420 or 450 in the tank), the important thing is that the value remains stable over time. For NO3 and PO4, the issue is different.



On January 27, 2026, I did a Modern Reef ICP test and received the results on January 30. It indicated that my NO3 was at 2.41 mg/l.

On the day of sampling (the 27th), the Ion Director showed 10 mg/l, while the Hanna test showed 0 mg/l.

Yesterday, the Ion Director showed 9 mg/l and Hanna showed 3 mg/l.

I have now set the ion director to maintain NO3 at 10 mg/l. We will see what happens at the end of the month when I send the ICP.
 
On the ION TIPs page, they specifically say to not compare against 3rd party tests.

And we have speed limits on roads around the world yet we all drive over them. I guess my point is that yes, they can say this, but it is going to happen.

GHL, Neptune, and similar companies and products are not wrong but the hobbyist minds are wired such that this will always happen.

Welcome to the club.
 
Good morning everyone, I have the complete GHL system, KH Director, and Ion Director.

There's not much to say about the KH Director; once it's calibrated properly, it keeps the values stable. However, I'm more interested in stability than precise values, so if I don't see any major variations, I'm happy.

The Ion Director is a different story.
The values I get with the Ion Director are different from those I get with Hanna.

After installing the probe, I always test the GHL calibration liquid and adjust the values to match those of the calibration liquid.

I do a daily Ion Director test in the tank, and the values are stable.

So, for example, for calcium:
Ion Director measures 420 on the reference liquid (correct)
Ion Director measures 430 in the tank (plausible)
Hanna HI758 measures 435 on the reference liquid (plausible if we calculate that it can have a 5% error)
Hanna HI758 measures 503 in the tank (very strange)

Magnesium example:
Ion director measures 1300 on reference liquid (correct)
Ion director measures 1278 in tank (plausible)
Hanna HI783 measures 1440 on reference liquid (strange, even if we calculate that it may have a 5% error)
Hanna HI783 measures in the tank: 1425 (very strange)

However, in this case we have a delta of approx. 20 ppm. So I would say that the measurement is stable

Example no. 3:
Ion director measures 11 on reference liquid (correct)
Ion director measurement in tank 9 (seems a little high to me)
Hanna HI782 measurement on Standard Cuvettes 10 (correct)
Hanna HI782 measurement in tank: 3 (plausible)


Now, I have all the baling dosages in adaptive mode according to the Kh director and Ion director measurements.

Kh nominal value = 7 -> measurement in tank 7.3
Ca nominal value = 420 -> measurement in tank 430
mg nominal value = 1300 -> measurement in tank 1278
no3 nominal value = 7 -> measurement in tank 9

Considering that the tests were carried out within an hour, I wonder if it makes sense to compare them with an ICP, as it usually takes four days between water sampling and results.

In conclusion, given that the daily measurements are similar and differ by a few ppm, the variations that Ion and Kh director give to the dosing pumps are correct for keeping the values stable.

However, I have many doubts about the accuracy of the actual data measurement.
Thank you for the detailed summary. Have you checked Ca and Mg against a Salifert test kit? I prefer that brand over Hanna for those specific elements. For Alk, I go with Hanna.

Also a previous post recommended to do the ION Director tests with completely calm and bubble free sample water. Have you tried that?

Thank you.
 
And we have speed limits on roads around the world yet we all drive over them. I guess my point is that yes, they can say this, but it is going to happen.

GHL, Neptune, and similar companies and products are not wrong but the hobbyist minds are wired such that this will always happen.

Welcome to the club.
I hear you and agree with you, buy why buy a $1000 piece of equipment if you are not going follow the manufactures recommendations.

It is like buying a supercar that the manufacturer says it requires a trickle charge when not in use, not using it and wondering why your battery is dead when you go to start it. (to use your car analogy 😀 )
 
I think reef factory had a good design and very reasonable reagent costs for the Kh and the po4 smart tester. KH uses the acid gallon jugs you can buy on Amazon super cheap.

The po4 tester gives you around 5 months of reagent in one set of cartridges that you can find on sale for $15. It’s a shame they went into bankruptcy.
 
I hear you and agree with you, buy why buy a $1000 piece of equipment if you are not going follow the manufactures recommendations.

It is like buying a supercar that the manufacturer says it requires a trickle charge when not in use, not using it and wondering why your battery is dead when you go to start it. (to use your car analogy 😀 )

I have no idea why that may be. Speaking for myself as a user of both Trident ACM and NP I do not cross compare as it would be exhausting. I have kits and will spot check only if I get back to back test result anomalies but otherwise the Trident is the source of record, Mother.

I think we are on the same page :D
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new