Giant 304 Stainless UV sterilizer - safe for temporary dino treatment?

Richard ML

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Randy and everyone,

I have a *gigantic*, brand-new whole-home UV sterilizer (Rainfresh R830):

1616770403702.png

I got this huge sucker for free, but I haven't installed it on my tank because it's made of 304 stainless steel, which isn't the best in saltwater.

However, I now have an outbreak of Prorocentrum dinoflagellates that need to be obliterated:

1616770572255.png

Would the 304 stainless hold up sufficiently well for two or three weeks of dinoflagellate genocide? Do I have to worry about nasty stuff like chromium leeching into the tank?

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
Richard ML

Richard ML

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be more comfortable with 316. Maybe you can run it on a closed loop off tank with saltwater and then do an ICP test?
Thanks for the reply. That'd be ideal, but if I'm paying for an ICP test, I might as well get a cheap used PVC sterilizer instead. Was hoping to get away with this one! I know a lot of people have 304 stainless hose clamps in their tanks for years, but the surface area on one of those compared to this sterilizer leaves a big question mark.

OP
OP
Richard ML

Richard ML

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how fast 304 might be an issue. I'm also not sure if it will help with dinos.
Thanks Randy.

I found this interesting study:

...localized corrosion did not occur for exposure times up to 4 months [SS304, SS316, Ti, and Al in both natural seawater and Instant Ocean]

That gives me a bit of confidence. I'll probably run it on an isolated closed loop for a week, give it a visual inspection, and if it looks OK, I'll give it a try.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how fast 304 might be an issue. I'm also not sure if it will help with dinos.

@Randy Holmes-Farley Any reason you’re not sure about it helping with the dinos? There’s a thread with some people suggesting with certain strains it can help if you run high enough wattage with low flow. People are suggesting that some stains go back into the water column at night where the UV can be effective. I’ve noticed on mine a definite die back with lights out over night, but not sure if that means it’s “moved into the water column”.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-–-are-you-tired-of-battling-altogether.293318

I’ve got a dino outbreak that I’m battling after coming back from vacation. I just installed a 57watt with 180gph flow to see if it’ll help. I figured it couldn’t hurt.

Thanks

OP
OP
Richard ML

Richard ML

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley Any reason you’re not sure about it helping with the dinos? There’s a thread with some people suggesting with certain strains it can help if you run high enough wattage with low flow. People are suggesting that some stains go back into the water column at night where the UV can be effective. I’ve noticed on mine a definite die back with lights out over night, but not sure if that means it’s “moved into the water column”

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-–-are-you-tired-of-battling-altogether.293318/

I’ve got a dino outbreak that I’m battling after coming back from vacation. I just installed a 57watt with 180gph flow to see if it’ll help. I figured it couldn’t hurt.

Thanks
My anecdotal, not-at-all empirical observations are the same.

It'll disappear off the rocks after a 48 hour blackout, but remains observable in a water sample under the microscope (if you search hard enough), and once the lights are back on, mucus madness is back in force within 3 hours.

At the very least, the particular species of dinos in my tank (Prorocentrum by my eyes) does appear to have a water column phase, and if that's the case, its highly translucent cell should be completely vulnerable to UV.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley Any reason you’re not sure about it helping with the dinos? There’s a thread with some people suggesting with certain strains it can help if you run high enough wattage with low flow. People are suggesting that some stains go back into the water column at night where the UV can be effective. I’ve noticed on mine a definite die back with lights out over night, but not sure if that means it’s “moved into the water column”.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-–-are-you-tired-of-battling-altogether.293318

Thanks

I've just not read many cases where it was a solution. I don't doubt it may be helpful in some scenarios.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anecdotal, not-at-all empirical observations are the same.

It'll disappear off the rocks after a 48 hour blackout, but remains observable in a water sample under the microscope (if you search hard enough), and once the lights are back on, mucus madness is back in force within 3 hours.

At the very least, the particular species of dinos in my tank (Prorocentrum by my eyes) does appear to have a water column phase, and if that's the case, its highly translucent cell should be completely vulnerable to UV.

I’ve got what appears to be Prorocentrum as well based on what I’ve see under the microscope. Well fingers crossed the UV helps. I’ve also been increasing my nitrate levels. So far it’s not getting any worse, maybe a little better. Good luck!!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 78.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back