Gifted some Seachem Matrix

ShawnSaucier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 25, 2011
Messages
1,137
Reaction score
795
Location
Winter Park, FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received a 2 liter tub of Matrix from a friend, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this stuff being used in a reef sump. Should it be run pre or post skimmer, used in the fuge as rubble, or could I place it all under my skimmer stand? I have thought about adding Marinepur blocks in the past, just for some extra bio filtration, but never really pursued it. I would not want to start another cycle either. Any thoughts?
 
Do you have elevated nitrate in the aquarium?[/QUOTE

They are not to out of hand, maybe a little higher than I would ideally want. Unfortunately I do travel quite a bit, which leaves my wife to do water changes when I am gone. She does a great job, but the tank being my thing, her eye isn't as discerning when observing the tank. I would not want to run a ULNS, I think a bit of dirt is always good. But there is definitely a difference in the appearance of the tank from when I am hoe for long periods and then when I get home from traveling..
 
If I were to use it, I'd probably put it on the bottom of the fuge like rock rubble.
Not sure what your skimmer stand is like.
Pre or post skimmer doesn't really matter.
 
If I were to use it, I'd probably put it on the bottom of the fuge like rock rubble.
Not sure what your skimmer stand is like.
Pre or post skimmer doesn't really matter.

The skimmer stand is basic, two adjustable uprights with the base on top (synergy). I thought it might be a good spot as it is in front of the water entrance to the skimmer compartment, so a nice flow over the media..
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 31.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new