GIVING NEW LIFE TO A 125 GALLON

WilliG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a couple of months ago my wife said that I could upgrade from our current 55 gallon mixed reef. I then started looking for a 125 to a 180 gallon setup. Found a 125 near me for $200 for the tank, cabinet and canopy. It was all in pretty rough condition as you can see from the pictures. The guy wrapped it duct tape and was going to break the glass to get rid of the tank. His wife talked sense into the guy and he put it up for sale. $200 for the tank, cabinet and canopy. Went and looked at it, so I knew it was going to take some work. My wife gave me the go ahead on it knowing that I like a challenge and a project to accomplish.

just bought.jpg

OP
OP
WilliG

WilliG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sanded down everything, even broke down the cabinet and canopy doors. 80/120/220/320 grit in that order.

started sanding down cabinet and canopy.jpg

OP
OP
WilliG

WilliG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to paint them both black, as black goes with everything, and white, well white you look at it crossed eyed and it gets dirty. Pained Onyx Black with 3 coats, then clear coated in polyurethane 3 coats and wet sanded.

finishing the cabinet.jpg finishing the canopy.jpg

OP
OP
WilliG

WilliG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got all of the duct tape off of the tank, and all the residue from the duct tape. Industrial goof off came in to save the day. That part was no fun. Also a couple rounds with BAR KEEPERS FRIEND and cleared up the glass. Took the picture before the BAR KEEPERS FRIEND.

removed tape from outside the tank.jpg

OP
OP
WilliG

WilliG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I cleaned up the glass I removed the bottom plate seal, the corner seals were already removed by the previous owner. I used ASI clear for all seals, on Thursday afternoon. Sunday night I filled it for a leak test. This morning, no leaks.

resealed and leak test.jpg

OP
OP
WilliG

WilliG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the synergy 16" shadow on order and is to be delivered today. As for the sump, I have a decision to make. Scrape this cabinet and build a taller one, or use 2 20 gal long tanks for the sump. Connection would be via bulk heads of 1.5"

OP
OP
WilliG

WilliG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is taller than a 20 long, it would leave very little room to get out a skimmer cup. I need to look into that.

OP
OP
WilliG

WilliG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 40 gallon breeder would leave me 6.875" to work with from the top of inside the cabinet. The deepth of the 40 gallon breeder is 19.25" that might give me an issue. I would have to measure the inside to be 100% if it would fit. If it fits, than great, if not back to ideas.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 115 77.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back