Giving thanks for cleaner waters: What do you use to clean the water in your reef tank?

What do you use to clean the water in your reef tank? (select all that apply)

• Skimmer

Votes: 345 81.6%
  • Filter socks

Votes: 187 44.2%
  • Roller mat

Votes: 99 23.4%
  • Reactor

Votes: 97 22.9%
  • Chemicals

Votes: 65 15.4%
  • Other

Votes: 128 30.3%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Giving thanks for cleaner waters: What do you use to clean the water in your reef tank?

Kind of like when the Thanksgiving feast is done, it’s a good idea to have a plan to clean up and do the dishes, clean up in the reef tank is also important. There are many ways to clean the water in the tank such as a skimmer, filter socks, a roller mat, various types of reactors, and more. While there is such a thing as water that is too clean, reef keepers keep their water at various levels of clean. Some prefer that the water is so clear that the fish look like they are floating in air, and others like the water to be a bit “dirtier” to benefit the corals. However clean you decide to keep the water in your aquarium, what do you use to clean the water in your reef tank? Please let us know your thoughts on how clean is too clean and how clean is just right for you!

jphilip813_sump.jpeg

Photo by @jphilip813

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.deltecdirectusa.com

Deltec_Logo.png

“With dozens of protein skimmers, calcium reactors, media reactors and kalkwasser stirrers in operation, Deltec USA can speak from experience and help you with all your Deltec needs. Live customer support and a large inventory of products rounds out our mission to provide the best possible Deltec experience.”

Kate Vellis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kind of like when the Thanksgiving feast is done, it’s a good idea to have a plan to clean up and do the dishes, clean up in the reef tank is also important. There are many ways to clean the water in the tank such as a skimmer, filter socks, a roller mat, various types of reactors, and more. While there is such a thing as water that is too clean, reef keepers keep their water at various levels of clean. Some prefer that the water is so clear that the fish look like they are floating in air, and others like the water to be a bit “dirtier” to benefit the corals. However clean you decide to keep the water in your aquarium, what do you use to clean the water in your reef tank? Please let us know your thoughts on how clean is too clean and how clean is just right for you!

jphilip813_sump.jpeg

Photo by @jphilip813

Deltec_Logo.png

“With dozens of protein skimmers, calcium reactors, media reactors and kalkwasser stirrers in operation, Deltec USA can speak from experience and help you with all your Deltec needs. Live customer support and a large inventory of products rounds out our mission to provide the best possible Deltec experience.”
Skimmer, filter socks, GFO in a bag, Purigen or car in at times . Still working in flow for keeping cyan in check

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 93

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I utilize filter socks, refugium, protein skimmer, DIY denitrification reactor w/vodka dosing, activated carbon & GFO in a dual reactor and weekly water changes.

OU812Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jphilip813_sump.jpeg

Photo by @jphilip813

Deltec_Logo.png

I have my skimmer filter socks and charcoal reactor I use Chemi pure original

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 75 that is full of softies, big softies I run filter socks and carbon reactor and that’s it. Haven’t performed a water change in 3 years Of the 7 it’s been running. It’s Rock solid.
My 30 LPS tank, on the other hand, gets a sock change every three days, wc every week and utilizes a 9004 skimmer. Nitrates and phosphates are higher than most keep them but everything is growing well

aquaman67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small sumpless tank.

I just got my only early black friday purchase today from BRS.

A Sicce Shark Pro 900 internal filter. I filled it with one chamber of carbon and two chambers of filter floss.

So far I love it. It’s pulling a lot of stuff out of my water. It looks better already.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back